Bolero - The Truth About This Song

celestial_sacred

Bolero - The Truth About This Song

A little background for those who don't understand. 'Bolero' is the famous theme you hear when you watch the first Digimon movie, Digimon Adventure, and also its remixes in Diablomon Strikes Back. It keeps playing over and over again, till it sticks to your head. Don't know what I'm talking about? Watch the first movie again.

I'd like to ask about its origin. Is Bolero really Digimon's original soundtrack? Or did Digimon take this song from somewhere else? I had this in my mind for a very very long time, 'cause my sister heard this song being played as a background music in a Korean soap opera, and I heard it being played in Nodame Cantabile's live action drama. I'd be really happy (for no particular reason) if Bolero really is Digimon's original! XD

If you have an answer, do tell so that we can have something to be proud of. :p

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
I can't be sure, but I do remember it, it was on tely and I said "that was on the first digimon movie" and my dad was like "Yeah, I'm sure digimon would use something like that" (he hates anime in general).

It's centuries old, but that's all I know (I'm probably wrong though, lol)

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
It has also been used as background music (BGM) in the Japanese anime series Digimon (seasons 1, 2; movies 1, 2). In the original Digimon Adventure movie, Boléro is the main motif in connection to the Agumon released and his evolution. It is also used partially in season 3 as one of the character's ringtones.

~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boléro

Splash

<b>Super Moderator</b><br>♥ TOMATO ♥
It's one of Ravel's most famous pieces (well, THE most according to the wiki although I hear about some of his other stuff more often) and although I love listening to it, I'm glad I never had to play it in my orchestras because the actual piece progresses very slowly/steadily for like 12 minutes straight. Although I've played movements that have been longer than that, they weren't of the same melody at least. xD It'd be like doing a slow Pachelbel for that long.

Splash

<b>Super Moderator</b><br>♥ TOMATO ♥
LOL that's a very very very old page that I've been lazy to move off freewebz, yes. XD But yeah I have a MIDI of Bolero there.

Just a couple listings from Digimon's discography:
  • Digimon Adventure - Uta to Ongaku Shuu Ver. 2
    Track 32 - Bolero ('99 Spring Toei Anime Fair Version) (2:33)
  • Digimon Adventure 02 - Diablomon no Gyakushuu Original Soundtrack
    Track01 - Bolero (2:30)

Randomly I also have the full piece of the French National Orchestra's performance of Bolero from one of the Nodame Cantabile CD collections... This one's 16 minutes XD Internationally it's a commonly played piece so you can find recordings of it from tons of orchestras.

Hagaren Gao

Guess I'm fired now
Heh, a friend showed me a japanese car commercial (Honda Prelude I think?) and Bolero was playing on that as well. I was like "Hey, this is on Digimon!" XD

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Bolero was also playing in the background of a race between I forgot what car and a speed skater in the Top Gear Winter Olympics episode.

celestial_sacred

;_; Too bad it's not Digimon's (from Japan or something) but Ravel's. The song really got into me. Thanks guys for all that bundle of info! I wonder if I'll hear Bolero in another show again... Maybe I'll make a record of 5! XD

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
I'm really shocked that you didn't know that this wasn't an original Digimon song and that it's an orchestral work that's been used for many years now...sort of like the aria Habanera from the opera Carmen. Seems that it's a theme that everyone just knows when hearing it.

Bolero's one of my favorite themes, although, I've listened to the version used in Digimon Adventure too much, so I've taken kind of a permanent break from it. ^^;

celestial_sacred

Seriously, I didn't know. Never heard of Bolero until hearing it from the Digimon soundtrack. =X You see.. I live in a small town so ochestra stuff is nil. >_> At least now I know. XD Yay~ Plus point for anime for delivering knowledge~

celestial_sacred

Wow. That sure is something! Thanks for sharing that.

Yeah. Digimon really teaches me lots of stuff including learning new words like coelacanth and calamary. XD

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
If you want to know a little bit more information: I believe it was Hosoda Mamoru who chose to use Bolero first for Adventure (he's the director for the first two movies and episode 21).
In an interview, Hosoda said that he thought Bolero reflected the Digimon perfectly because they're similar. When Digimon evolve, they change into something bigger and stronger, but their original "root" is still the same. That's how Bolero is, too - the orchestra grows as more and more instruments become involved, and the music swells greater, but the underlying tune of it is still insistent.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Makes sense.

celestial_sacred;36040 said:
Yeah. Digimon really teaches me lots of stuff including learning new words like coelacanth and calamary. XD

Isn't it nice to have educational Monsterfun ?

celestial_sacred

Yeah. Better than others from what I've seen so far. :D

onkeikun;36041 said:
When Digimon evolve, they change into something bigger and stronger, but their original "root" is still the same. That's how Bolero is, too - the orchestra grows as more and more instruments become involved, and the music swells greater, but the underlying tune of it is still insistent.

I thought of that too. So, that's the reason why Bolero was chosen. Yay~ Thanks for another info about the song, onkei! This is really making my day.

guilmon93950

I disagree, although some digimon retain the overall theme in their evolutions (such as Agumon through any Greymon line), others completlely trash it. Some digimon look nothing like their previous form after evolution.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
guilmon93950;39052 said:
I disagree, although some digimon retain the overall theme in their evolutions (such as Agumon through any Greymon line), others completlely trash it. Some digimon look nothing like their previous form after evolution.
But they're still in the same famiy, so to speak, right? Like say...Palmon's line. All of them deal with plant-life or plants, even though she looks way different from her lower forms.

MugenSeiRyuu

Savers Girls Fanboy
Definately. Most Digimon in the Show follow a specific theme when Evolving.
I think the Adventure Digimon would be relevant for this.
Agumon: Theropod Dinosaur/Dragon
Gabumon: Wolf
Piyomon: (Mythical) Birds
Tentomon: Rhinoceros Beetles
Palmon: Plant Live
Gomamon: Walruss ( if we count Plesiomon: Land Animal who returned to the Sea )
Patamon: Angel
Tailmon: Something Holy.

And while they not always increase in size, they for sure increase in power.