BitTorrent speed

celestial_sacred

BitTorrent speed

It's not my first time using BitTorrent but I never knew what I should do to speed up the download and upload speed. >.<"

I took these from WPP-fansubs Help.
Q: Why does my download never seem to complete on Bit Torrent?

A: Always check to make sure there are plenty of Seeds/Peers before downloading a file. You can check this on our torrent homepage found in the menu to the left. All you need is one Seed to complete a download.

How many is plenty?

Q: Why is my download speed so slow?

A: Many ISPs are blocking and/or throttling the standard ports that BitTorrent uses to connect to other peers. If you are getting slow speeds on a torrent that has a large number of seeds and peers you may want to try configuring your BT client to connect on other ports. Otherwise your ISP may be restricting your usage of BitTorrent.

How do I configure my BT client? What does it mean by that anyway?

What are the possible ways to increase my BT download and upload speed? Any help is greatly appreciated. :]

Akira

People
You use the BitTorrent client right? I'm not sure if it's the same for me as I use Azureus http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

I used to use BitTorrent but it isn't as good.

Azureus has a wiki for this sort of thing which should help you out as I'm assuming their advice is for all clients, they have pretty much the same interface http://www.azureuswiki.com/ hopefully this helps you with your problem :).

I think that the speed of your download is better the more files you have seeding, kinda like you scratch my back and I'll scratch your's.

BTW Anything I say in this post may not be true, I am no expert.

ankoku

Plenty....it really depends, however generally you want (at least) 5-10 seeds, and probably 50-60 peers. However on really old torrents, you aren't likely to get anything more than 1 or 2 seeds.

I personally use BitTornado (http://www.bittornado.com/) and it sets how fast you upload by itself.

On the really new torrents of extremely popular series, you should be getting it downloaded in ~1-2 hours (I think...it's been a while since I've used bittorrent, I usually use XDCC bots and DDL links nowadays).

And if you really do need to configure your BT client...I can't really be of help there. However it looks like BitTornado randomizes which port you're using, so you shouldn't have to deal with that.

As for what it means by that? Basically there are different "ports" by which your computer connects to the outside world (not actually physical ports, but ways that the computer has of handling things). HTTP generally occurs on port 80. See this article and this article if you want more detailed information on it.

Frankly though, I suggest that you learn how to use XDCC bots, because assuming it's DATS stuff that you're after, they have a XDCC bot, and it give out speeds that are better than most torrents (160 kb/s). Here is a tutorial for XDCC and here is a tutorial for general mIRC use.

tetron

Quality Check<br>rawr inc.
Bittornado sucks...trust me ~.~

Azerus...is decent...

The ones I recommend as a BT client would be uTorrent or BitComet.
ANd If your unsure of whether you should the download/upload option to some specific number, You can always put it on as unlimited.