Betrayal - Ryuusei fic, One-shot, spoilerific, rated G

Quatre Winner

Betrayal - Ryuusei fic, One-shot, spoilerific, rated G

Hi! As far as DATS goes, I think this is my first ficcie on this site... not sure though, my brain's gone on vacation, so I thought I'd introduce myself as a fanfiction writer. I've been writing for a good number of years, I've lost count, and most, if not all, of what I've written has been fanfiction. I love crossovers to the point of obsession, so feel free to head over to http://www.fanfiction.net/~quatrewinner and check out a few of my items. This gem that you see here isn't on there as of yet, and I don't know when I'll be putting it on there. I'm so lazy D:

So, about this fic. I wrote it shortly after seeing DATS' sub of episode 27, and I knew, after seeing that episode, that I had to write something from War Rock's point of view. He's such an enigmatic character, and I wanted to try to get inside his head, and according to a couple of people, it seems I've succeeded. Heh, who knew?

This has SPOILERS for episode 27, so if you still haven't watched it, shame on you. It's short, and it's a one-shot, meaning I won't be writing any more of this. I wrote it before seeing episode 28, because I wanted to write it while it was still fresh in my head, and even so, I might still write a companion piece to this, starring Subaru, which was my original intention.

But I'm sure you're getting tired of reading everything BUT the fic, so onward!

Humans are a puzzling life form. During the time I’ve been on Earth, I’ve experienced their many sides, mostly through my human, Subaru. I’ve seen my Subaru when he’s happy, and when he’s sad. I’ve seen him contemplative, and I’ve seen him when he spaces out. Don’t let him tell you differently, because I was there, I saw it.

But among the many emotions I’ve seen etched upon Subaru’s face, one I’ve never seen before presented itself today. Right before Subaru dismissed me and told me to never show myself again, I saw his face twisted up in some kind of emotion that even made my heart constrict, though I’ve never seen it before.

It was later, when the rain started falling again and my heart had stopped burning fiercely in my chest, that I finally understood what it was that had Subaru in tears, and that had me nearly following suit.

Betrayal.

I knew betrayal well. I was a traitor to my kind, after all. I’d betrayed their ideals, taken advantage of their loyalty to me in order to achieve my wants, and then I left them. Left them to their own devices, secure in the knowledge that my actions had protected that one weak planet.

And then I’d found myself here, with the son of the human who’d first affected my frozen heart, and for the first time, I allowed myself to forget. Forget that I was a bloodthirsty killer, forget that I’d murdered millions, forget that I wasn’t supposed to forget. And in forgetting, a part of me had been freed. I felt freely now, because I’d forgotten that I wasn’t supposed to.

I felt happy when Subaru was happy, though I hid it behind gruff comments and callous remarks. I felt sad when Subaru was sad, and felt the need to cheer him up to make myself feel better. When Subaru wanted to do something, he did it with his whole being, and what could I do but be swept along?

Now, looking up at the stars, I wonder if an FM alien can weep. I know I’ve betrayed Subaru, but it happened before I even met him. And yet here he was, turning his back on me! I felt…

I felt…

Betrayed.

I press my clawed hand against the armor of my chest and will myself to gain control again. What’s done is done. Subaru’s made his intentions clear, and there’s nothing I can do about it except move on. Now I understand why it is that the FM aliens… my brethren… want to destroy this world. And now I understand why I must battle my brethren… my enemy… in order to protect it.

I never want to make Subaru cry again.

As I make to move off, the moonlight gleaming catches my eye. I turn my head towards the sliver of silver, and there’s green reflected there too. I hope against hope, pray to whatever lay in the stars above, that it was what I hoped it was, but I didn’t expect anything.

The reflection moves closer to me, and I hold my breath, even as I set my face into a scowl.

“So it’s you.”

I turn my head from him, because I don’t want to see anymore betrayal on his face.

“I thought I wasn’t to appear before you again?” I ask sardonically, even as my chest burns. It hurts to get close to people and they separate themselves from you. “Aren’t you supposed to be someplace?”

“War Rock…”

I turn my head and glare at him. “What is it?! I destroyed the space station your father was on! I don’t have the right to see you again,” I bit out heatedly. “I was selfish when I stayed to begin with.”

“You weren’t!” Subaru burst out, rushing forward as if to grip my arm, but of course, I’m an EM wave, and his hand passes right through. He stomps his foot in aggravation and glares at me, as if blaming me for not being able to force his human comfort on me. “I’m sorry I said what I did. I wasn’t thinking straight. You did what you did before you met me, and you regret it now, right?”

“Of course,” I retorted. “Why else would I be fighting my former friends?”

“But you can’t fight them without me!” Subaru pointed out. “We’re friends, War Rock. You may be an FM alien, but even Amachi could see that you cared about me. That’s why he trusted you enough to help you help me, even though you’re an FM alien and he’s human.”

I snort. “We’re friends, huh? Do friends cast each other aside?”

Subaru looked cowed. “I’m sorry for that, War Rock. I didn’t mean it. I got overcome with emotion, because you’re responsible for my dad being missing, and while I don’t forgive it, I can put it behind me.” He stood up straight and looked me square in the eye. “Let’s look for my dad, together, okay?”

He holds out his hand, even though he knows I can’t grasp it. It’s the hand with his Transer on it, and after a moment I realize. It’s a human gesture, one that I’ve seen before. It’s a gesture of trust, and friendship. He’s inviting me back, even though he knows that I’m the one who caused his pain.

I’m overwhelmed with emotion, but shrug it off and say, “Yeah, whatever.”

Subaru smiles. I think I’d liked to see him smile more often. It’s an expression that suits him.

GSR

That one guy
(Now, now, GSR, you've sworn off fanfics, you said you weren't going to re-)

*reads*

I'm such a fanfic whore. ;_;

It's nice and a little sad, and a nice alternate way to bring the two friends back together. Though RnR30 has a nice sad little scene between the two, too.

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
Sworn off fanfics, huh...

I've also just recently started writing them. But no one seems to be reading my work at all. Do I absolutely have to post them on the site in order for people to read it?