Alpha Timing - Your Preference

What is your preference concerning alpha timing?

• Alpha timing should not be used at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alpha timing makes subs better.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • It should be used sparsely.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I don't really care either way.

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

Zelsius

<b>Egosexual</b>
Alpha Timing - Your Preference

This poll will give you a chance to influence our subbing work. Namely, the usage of alpha timing.

Alpha timing delays parts of the line to go with the speed of the speaker, rather than showing the whole line at once. If you don't know what alpha timing is, I attached three pictures of our recent Kyo Kara Maoh! episode one sub as an example.

Does alpha timing annoy you? Or do you like alpha timing?

It is a matter of great discussion within fansubbing circles, so I would be happy to hear your opinion which we will definitely take into consideration for future subs.

And if you're viewing this on the main page, please go to the forum topic! Thanks :D

Attachments

• Alpha1.JPG
    Alpha1.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 123
  • Alpha1.JPG
    Alpha1.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 126
  • Alpha2.JPG
    Alpha2.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 120
  • Alpha2.JPG
    Alpha2.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 120
  • Alpha3.JPG
    Alpha3.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 115
  • Alpha3.JPG
    Alpha3.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 122

Ebbit

<span style="color: #0000CC;">Someone's Favourite
Alpha timing on every line would drive me insane. I'd only pay attention to the subtitles, watching them as they filled in. Still, there are some lines whose delivery by the speaker is impossible to convey through the ordinary means of presenting the whole line at once or breaking it into entirely separate lines. On those occasions, alpha timing seems the ideal solution. So, I support it used sparingly and used well.

digiboy123

Sub Editor & RAW Scan Provider Purdy Thing
I agree with Ebbit. I would only use alpha timing when it's needed. Take for example:

Well... (2 second pause) what do you think?

I'd say use it for situation like that, when there is a considerable pause.

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
I say go as we have been - use it when it's best used.

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
Yah ;o

Another example I did on Zoids10 was a countdown... 10-0 :<

But something like "Wait, wait, wait!" isn't as needed... and I'd only do it if there were pauses between it, not one right after another.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Whatever is easiest for those working on it should be what is used.

hwarangoo

Journalists
I agree with beforesaid things but I have on last opinion. sometimes I get called while watching anime I always like to read whats happening at once so I have a few seconds to react with alpha timing id have to pause all the time.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
I just watched the subs for ZT11, and I think that alpha timing is great, but it shouldn't be used so much. In my opinion, there was way too much Alpha timing used in ZT11.

Jared;47906 said:
I say go as we have been - use it when it's best used.

I agree with that. Just don't overuse it.