[1337] In non-english languages

Himi-chan

Little Random Irony
[1337] In non-english languages

So I know that 1337 isn't a real language, but actually a butchered version of english used by idiots (usually). What I'm wondering is if there are similar ways of "net-speakin any other languages. For languages that have alphabet systems similar to english, I can a 1337 system working. But with languages with different symbols (like japanese and korean) I have no idea.

So do 1337-like sub-languages exist in other languages, and if so, how do they work? Do they even exist in languages with similar writing systems to english, or is it so stupid that there are no equivilants anywhere? And why do I want to know this anyways? >_<"

GordoBaggins

T|_| 31235 357|_||D1|)0. ^_^

Actually, I'm not sure, but it could work for Romance languages and the like. Other ones like Japanese or Chinese, who knows.

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
I don't know about l33t, but I know Spanish can be slanged up.

Porke todos estan LAZY~

Spanish kids don't use accents, and they change "que" to "ke" >_> It's really confusing for a kid that's trying to learn the language. XD

I printed out some lyrics that were written in Spanish slang once, and brought them to my teacher, asking what the words were, as I had never heard of them before and the dictionary didn't have them.

She had no clue what it said ;_;

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I saw 1337 and automatically thought "I can do pig latin then right?!!" :p

I'm sure there is, in answer to your question. I just haven't encountered one. >_>;; Of course for 1337 there's like different levels of it.

Himi-chan

Little Random Irony
T|_| 31235 357|_||D1|)0. ^_^
... Is that supposed to mean anything? All I understand is the smiley >_<"

I printed out some lyrics that were written in Spanish slang once, and brought them to my teacher, asking what the words were, as I had never heard of them before and the dictionary didn't have them.

When I asked my Spanish teacher what "La Corda de Oro" meant, she told me to look up corda, (appearently 'string,' which I'd consider a basic word,) so I have lost faith in language teacher's abilities to understand the languages they teach. If you have a good teacher though, thats another story. Either way, I'd agree that its frustrating.

I saw 1337 and automatically thought "I can do pig latin then right?!!" :p
lol, I wasn't even sure this would be allowed, as 1337 isn't a true language. But since It is related to languages, I decided to post anyways and let the mods worry about whether this goes in here or in general.

I'm sure there is, in answer to your question. I just haven't encountered one. >_>;;
Yeah, there likely is. I just can't imagine any, so by-passing "does it exist?" and going straight to "how does it work?" doesn't feel right.

Of course for 1337 there's like different levels of it.
O.O I didn't even know that 21337 and 31337 are "too leet (lite?)" and "elite" respectively, so I don't think I can handle the higher levels of it. Yay for DATS being 1337-free~

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
La Corda de Oro...

lol, she didn't know what corda meant?

I think it's a music-centric word, so maybe she just isn't a musical person. I believe there is another word for twine-type string... but don't quite me on that. :)

Akaku

コード・ブルー
Scipio;2291 said:
I don't know about l33t, but I know Spanish can be slanged up.

Porke todos estan LAZY~

Spanish kids don't use accents, and they change "que" to "ke" >_> It's really confusing for a kid that's trying to learn the language. XD

Yes. I hate it when people make Spanish Slang, it does make it harder for people to understand the language.

yo c q tu estas loco Greg. >.<

It just sounds so awkward.

Himi-chan;2296 said:
When I asked my Spanish teacher what "La Corda de Oro" meant, she told me to look up corda, (appearently 'string,' which I'd consider a basic word,) so I have lost faith in language teacher's abilities to understand the languages they teach. If you have a good teacher though, thats another story. Either way, I'd agree that its frustrating.

La Corda de Oro is Translatable to someone who knows spanish.

Corda = String ;)

De = Of

Oro = Gold

Himi-chan

Little Random Irony
Bashy-Bashy?

I think it's a music-centric word, so maybe she just isn't a musical person.
Not musical? I dunno if she particularly likes music, but she listens to it quite a bit. Everything we learn is accompanied by either a song or a poem, and she's got this evil birthday song that she plays whether we want her to or not. Though, I suppose being tolerant of/liking music is different from caring enough to study it =/

La Corda de Oro is Translatable to someone who knows spanish.
I thought it should've been, but appearently it isn't as this lady who claims to be smart because she got a degree can't translate it. I'll go back to trusting the degree-less immature spanish-speaking ninth graders now, thank-you-very-much :]

BTW, since this post is pure Spanish anyways, is Oro the color gold, or the mineral?

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
One of the most effective ways of teaching is through music... that's why you have songs all the time :-p

Mineral, I believe. Though I think it can refer to both.

GordoBaggins

Himi-chan;2296 said:
... Is that supposed to mean anything? All I understand is the smiley >_<"
"Tu eres estupido" <.< I apologize if after taking 2 years of High School Spanish I still can't get that right. I never paid attention much.

Scootah

well to my best trans.

T|_| 31235 357|_||D1|)0
tue (T|_| 3)
resest (1235 357)
udido (|_||D1|)0)

Wait... for "resest"... the 235357 make sense.. but there does the 1 come in?

iresest?

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
Well, in Thai you have a "1337"-like language but it isn't used alot in forums what so ever like english, and it remains easy to understand (mostly using english alphabet as a part of Thai word).
One mostly used word/simile is "555"(ห้าห้าห้า)(read:HaHaHa) for laughing.

KD_Nutjob

Tcatomon;2421 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L33t

Also made popular by Megatokyo.. a webcomic dealing with the usual computer geekery and n1nj4s :3

I recall a rather interesting debate about Japanese l33t in the Megatokyo forums.

A point listed was that since l33t was created in order to bypass the forum filters of the 1980's, the Japanese had no need to create a 'l33t language' as they had no problem to solve. Thus, no l33t for them.

l33t isn't just letter substitution, it also involves incorperating various slang words and suffixes (hacker=haxor=h4x0r) so in order to have a 'l33t language' outside of English, such words would also have to be formed.

Additionally, some Japanese teens replace some hiragana and katakana with numbers (e.g. ミ is replaced with '3' because 'ミ' means 3, the English word for 2 is similar to the pronunciation of tsu or ツ, 2 is also used as a replacement for ni or ニ as ni means 2 ) though this kind of thing is more common in text-messaging.