Why do you like your favorite couples' members?

The Analyzer

Why do you like your favorite couples' members?

I've seen people always go on about why they like a certain couple and it recently made me wonder... what do they like about the characters that are members of the couple? We already know that, for instance, many people like Taiora and Takari. However, what I wonder is as individuals why do you like Taichi and Sora and Takeru and Hikari?

Hmm...I don't like much couples, as I am usually a gen writer. However, I'm fond of Junzumi (Junpei and Izumi), so I'll go from there.

For Junpei, I like that he is a loyal individual. Though he is usually an easygoing guy, he would use any measure he could to protect his friends when they are in danger, even if it puts him in danger in the process. He possesses quite a chivalrous nature, with trying to protect his friends as "a knight in shining armor" and he learned that he needed to be more assertive in society if he wanted to get what he wanted (Though in romantic terms, he'd be the more compliant member of a couple. Not that he'd be a doormat, but he'd be content with allowing his love be the decision maker in the relationship).

As for Izumi, I like that she can dress feminine, adore cute things like usual girls and still have the courage to stand up to higher powers and never give up upon her goals. Even though she's the weakest in terms of fighting prowess, she nevertheless enters battle and tries her best to defeat the enemy. As an independent person, she doesn't enjoy being forced to bow down to other people and though there are times when she would be enamored by something or someone pretty or cute, if they have the wrong attitude she wouldn't be fond of them again unless they prove they are worth her fondness. Despite her toughness though, she can be a sweet and friendly individual and is always true to herself.

So...why do you like the people in your favorite couple?

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
You know, this is a very interesting question. For those who are strong fans of the two examples you gave (Taiora; Takari), it's probably more so for a cliche type reason. You know, childhood friends grow up to become couples. As for Taichi and Sora, the foundation was kind of there (imo, Sora really did have a liking towards Taichi, and movie 2 sealed this for me, but Taichi was too clueless and didn't feel the same way back, until he was older and "noticed girls", I suppose, but was too late as Sora had moved on and her crush on him, went away).

I personally liked Taichi and Sora because they knew each other for so long, and I liked how the two interacted, but don't get me wrong, I like her paired with Yamato too since Yamato's character is more mature, and seems Sora's the type in general who'd prefer someone who is mature (especially if basing it on that love-letter drama; she seems to come across as "old" for her age).

Anyway, I shall mention my all-time favorite pairing, and that's Koumi (Koushirou x Mimi). I absolutely adore this pairing. I know most wonder why, and that's just the thing. I honestly couldn't say. Maybe it is a cliche. The popularity queen paired up with the quiet, nerdy character (I like her paired up with Jou for the same reason, but I still like Koumi more than Joumi for some reason).

Hmm, maybe it is their personalities. Koushirou is quiet and closed up (which can be shown through his season 1 image theme, Version Up, where he, imo, wants to "upgrade himself", but isn't really able to [my interpretation anyway]). Mimi is quite open and very friendly. I feel that a character with her personality would suit a person with Koushirou's, because she'd help him to open up more.

Bah, I don't know. lol I just know I love this particular pairing to death, and nothing will ever change that.

coriolis

Hi! I'm new here.

Anyway, I shall mention my all-time favorite pairing, and that's Koumi (Koushirou x Mimi). I absolutely adore this pairing. I know most wonder why, and that's just the thing. I honestly couldn't say. Maybe it is a cliche. The popularity queen paired up with the quiet, nerdy character (I like her paired up with Jou for the same reason, but I still like Koumi more than Joumi for some reason).

I agree that it could be cliche to have an introverted, serious character paired up with a cheerful, outgoing one, but it seems to me that a 'cliche' would be more apparent in a situation where the characters in that pairing act like cardboard cut-outs and show no defining traits beyond those associated with a set of common stereotypes.

If the characters are written well, I don't think that it'd necessarily be cliche at all.

The introvert/extrovert dynamic is one that I'd have to admit to being pretty fond of--I like foils, and this is a common device that anime (and other media) use to further contrast a couple of given characters. It makes for fun analysis, too.

Getting back to Digimon: I kind of preferred Jyou and Mimi's interaction, possibly since they're my favorite characters in 01. I'd be more inclined to ship them, but Koushirou/Mimi could be interesting too. In some ways, Koushirou and Mimi are more 'opposites' than Jyou and Mimi are, as Koushirou and Mimi seem to have literally nothing in common, despite the fact that they are the same age. Whereas though Jyou and Mimi are quite different in many ways, on a gut level, I felt that they had a bit more in common with each other than with the other kids, which is why I liked their scenes together. At times, both seemed to be separated from the other children; literally, near the end of 01, but also on a certain emotional level at other parts during the series, IMHO.

Sora's the type in general who'd prefer someone who is mature (especially if basing it on that love-letter drama; she seems to come across as "old" for her age).

Hmm, that's a good point! At the beginning of 02, wasn't there also a part where Hikari jokingly told Sora to stop acting like an old woman, in reference to the new Chosen Children taking on the responsibilities of the old ones? I never really considered that idea before.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
coriolis;4387 said:
I agree that it could be cliche to have an introverted, serious character paired up with a cheerful, outgoing one, but it seems to me that a 'cliche' would be more apparent in a situation where the characters in that pairing act like cardboard cut-outs and show no defining traits beyond those associated with a set of common stereotypes.
Well, yeah, you do have a point. I guess I was referring more so to the actual dynamic.
The introvert/extrovert dynamic is one that I'd have to admit to being pretty fond of--I like foils, and this is a common device that anime (and other media) use to further contrast a couple of given characters. It makes for fun analysis, too.
I agree with this too.
Getting back to Digimon: I kind of preferred Jyou and Mimi's interaction, possibly since they're my favorite characters in 01.
Ironically, Jou was a fav for me in Adventure; Mimi didn't become a favorite character for me until 02, but, I liked the pairing of Koushirou x Mimi way before 02 rolled around.
I'd be more inclined to ship them, but Koushirou/Mimi could be interesting too. In some ways, Koushirou and Mimi are more 'opposites' than Jyou and Mimi are, as Koushirou and Mimi seem to have literally nothing in common, despite the fact that they are the same age. Whereas though Jyou and Mimi are quite different in many ways, on a gut level, I felt that they had a bit more in common with each other than with the other kids, which is why I liked their scenes together. At times, both seemed to be separated from the other children; literally, near the end of 01, but also on a certain emotional level at other parts during the series, IMHO.
Seems my true liking of Koushirou x Mimi was strengthened because of the love-letter drama, where Koushirou was writing out a love-letter, got caught, and the others were trying to figure out who it could've been for and Mimi was pretty much the prime candidate. I just hate the fact that we never find out who the letter is for. His laptop "beeps" when he tells Tentomon who he was writing it to.

The other thing that made me really like it, was episode 10 and the fact that those two are the only who have had the other's Digimon partner. I just found it interesting and ironic.

You know, I wouldn't say that Koushirou and Mimi have nothing in common. Going by her personality in the Adventure novel, I could see them having some common ground. She's not really dumb or shallow or any of those negative traits associated with popularity. She even came up with the whole alien theory when getting to the Digital World, as opposed to Koushirou.

That aside, I could see her paired well with either Koushirou or Jou...and speaking of which, I really need to finish my Jou x Mimi fic I started years ago. lol
Hmm, that's a good point!
Sora said so in the drama too. She came right out and said that the letter wasn't for her, for the most part, and that she's not into "younger guys".
At the beginning of 02, wasn't there also a part where Hikari jokingly told Sora to stop acting like an old woman, in reference to the new Chosen Children taking on the responsibilities of the old ones? I never really considered that idea before.
Oh yeah, she did. I'd forgotten that.

coriolis

Well, yeah, you do have a point. I guess I was referring more so to the actual dynamic.

I wasn't really disagreeing with what you said; just trying to expand on that thought. :)

You know, I wouldn't say that Koushirou and Mimi have nothing in common. Going by her personality in the Adventure novel, I could see them having some common ground.

Hmm, I shouldn't have phrased it that way, I guess. I do see them as more dissimilar than Jyou and Mimi, though, because of their reactions to situations--along with the fact that while Koushirou is so focused on technical things, Mimi could care less for the most part. The scene that generally sticks out in my mind of their interaction in 01 was that one where Koushirou is on the computer, and Mimi shouts at him but nothing she says even registers with him.

Their interaction is interesting, though.

I really need to finish my Jou x Mimi fic I started years ago.

What's it about?

Btw, that drama is adorable -- I've been meaning to listen to the other 01 tracks besides the 'Original Story: Two-and-a-Half Year Break' one, but haven't had the chance to yet.

SSJ Jup81

Official Link Fanglomper
coriolis;4498 said:
I wasn't really disagreeing with what you said; just trying to expand on that thought. :)
Gotcha! ^_^
Hmm, I shouldn't have phrased it that way, I guess. I do see them as more dissimilar than Jyou and Mimi, though, because of their reactions to situations--along with the fact that while Koushirou is so focused on technical things, Mimi could care less for the most part.
Oh, that just shows her carefree personality, which is another reason why I feel that those two would work together, same with her with Jou. She can help them to "loosen up", so to speak.

Oh, the reason for Koushirou's semi-obsession as to trying to figure out how things work, more than likely has a lot to do with his being adopted and his always hating that aspect of himself. Well, for Adventure anyway. He seemed to have come to accept it by the time Adventure 02 rolled around.
The scene that generally sticks out in my mind of their interaction in 01 was that one where Koushirou is on the computer, and Mimi shouts at him but nothing she says even registers with him.
Tentomon didn't really get through to him either, but that just also shows how messed up he was. Koushirou had a bit of a complex with the adoption thing, and he's also not very good with people (for Adventure anyway). It's like he feels he's beneath people because of his being adopted, hence his problem with associating with others. The whole thing is interesting, when you get down to it. I'm sure he learned over time how to,especially since he came to terms with the adoption thing (he knew that he wasn't tainting the Izumi family name, etc.)
What's it about?
Oh, it was a comedy fic...I only got 4 chapters in. Jou, after so many years of crushing on her, finally gets the courage to try and ask her out, but, he needs advice first, since he'd never asked out a girl before. "What kind of advice will he get?" The story is called "Jou-san no Hatsukoi!" The first four chapters of the story could probably use a rewrite. I actually came to a block with the story. I still know how I want to end it, and I still know which character is going to give Jou the best advice. I even remember what advice each character (I only was planning on using the guys, for the most part) will give...it's just writing out scenarios to have Jou act all this stuff out.

The first one Jou gets advice from is Yamato (which scars Jou for life lol), then Taichi and that's where I stopped.

I'll finish that story someday...