Upgrading to vBulletin 3.7

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Upgrading to vBulletin 3.7

Pretty soon, vBulletin will start issuing the Public Betas for their latest version - 3.7 - and I'm wondering if you guys would like me to work through a beta round or two (And deal with the possible bugs) or just wait until the final version comes out?

You can see what the new features are like here.

So gimme some thoughts on the matter. :) I'd like to play around with it (I am a geek at heart, and at one point in my life, I would've been jumping off the walls at this news) but if you guys don't want to deal with the bugs, let me know.

:D

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
bugs suck badly - let them deal with the bug we have the shiny end result i think.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
Finally image lightbox! Where's the list of skinning incompatibilities (oh hell).

Volt

DC Comics Enthusiast
Vengeance
I agree with Vande. Let's wait and get the end result. Let others be tortured with the bugs.

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
Sweet, custom thread prefixes. And admin lockdown of MySpace-y member pages FTW.

But like everyone else said, let's just wait until 3.7's perfected.

Ryuuk

Shinigami
I've gotta be on the other side of this

beta is my favorite word because I can't wait to see what is new and exciting.

we could deal with a few bugs, bring on 3.7!

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
uhm... and it's not like there are going to be HUGE errors that make things unworkable. Usually, there are errors that most users wouldn't even find...

Akaku

コード・ブルー
Looks good.

Doesn't really matter to me, patience always pays off in the end~

I just hope i get to do nifty stuff, Admins always get all the Fun. :-p

lolington

Take my word with a grain of salt, but I lost an entire forum due to a bad phpBB beta. vBulletin may be different, but I wouldn't try a beta on any production forum. Maybe if you wanted to setup a second database, toy around with it, get it skinned and learn all the new cool stuff, that would be a good idea.

Of course, I don't run the site, but I wouldn't try the beta myself. :p

I had upgraded that forum several times before to normal releases without any incident, so I definitely knew how to perform an upgrade...there was a bug of some sort in the update code, and I was negligent enough to attempt upgrading before making a full backup.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
Atleast phpbb 3 produces better markup than vB. vB uses table for layout, very hard to skin