torrent DL help....

2chaotic

Future bestselling author
torrent DL help....

Not sure of where this post would go so i put it here...

I have problems with torrents. This makes me an unhappy person.

I use uTorrent. Except i have a router which seems almost dumb about things that use the internet. Not matter what i've tried, i cant get DL speeds above 5kb/s. Which is really annoying when trying to download a torrent with video in it... I have a higher-end DSL connection that gets around 756kb/s which i use for Xbox live....

I use a WRT54G V5.

I also use Norton Internet Suite...

How do i configure these things to allow utorrent to speed up?

Or do i need to use a different torrent program?

johnxfire

Grand Saboteur
Actually, I think your problem might be with the torrents. It's either no one is seeding it or there are more leechers than seeders.

2chaotic

well...I usually get torrents that have at least 10 seeders...

And for a torrent i am DLing right now...I'm averaging a 5kb/s. With 10 seeders +18 leachers....

Every torrent i DL has been like this. And it's very, very annoying.

2chaotic

okay thanks.

That helped a lot.

Just so i know, what is an average DL speed for a DSL connection on a torrent program?

2chaotic

well....That's not quite the speed i should be getting.

The average speed i'm getting now is 30 kb/s. Which is a tremendous improvement over 5kb/s. But if what you say is true, then something is seriously messed up somewhere...

*goes to beat head against wall* Oh wait...I already am.

lolington

It depends on the quality of connections and your OS. Windows XP Service Pack 2 is limited to ten connections by default- a stupid choice by Microsoft designed to limit the spread of worms. (In reality, due to the number of unpatched windows machines online and the fact that powers grow quickly, the difference made by this crippling is mere minutes when you are trying to prevent worldwide infection). Extremely inconveniently, it limits the number of peers in Bittorrent.

Use this program:
http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads
(English, obviously)

Raise your connection limit to, at a minimum, 100. I prefer 1,000 b/c no torrent I've ever had that many, but I've exceeded 100. Don't worry about the "Worms will be able to spread very fast!" warning, if you get infected, it means that whatever worm you got will try to infect other computers quicker. If you run antivirus, it isn't a problem.

Also, if your antivirus is triggered by it, don't worry- some antiviruses pick it up falsely. A few worms increase the maximum # of connections to spread quicker, and that's why some A/Vs pick it up. It's perfectly safe.

Basically, you execute the program, type C for "Change limit", tell it 1000, yes, hit "cancel" when Windows File Protection appears, and that you do indeed want to keep this "unrecognized" file (it's the same as the old one with a much higher limit). Reboot your PC, and your torrents should be able to reach higher speeds if they have more than 10 peers (seeders + leechers).

lolington

Glad I could help!

2chaotic;17149 said:
You're a genius.

Now i'm getting about 60kb/s for a low.

Nice.

Heh, no problem :)

I have a 15mbit/2mbit down/up connection, with tweaking I've been able to hit 1.3 megabytes (yes, bytes, not bits) per second on torrents for Ubuntu Linux :D

Glad I could help!

lolington

PrimoPiccolo;17167 said:
Thanks, hopefully this will help me. I have dial-up, but I still seem to download stuff off torrents at a speed which always seems to average twice as slow as a direct DL, no matter the seeds.

Yikes! That won't help you much. If AT&T DSL is availible at your address, and you don't mind signing up for a year, $10 DSL is open for purchase on a buried page on the AT&T website.