the steps in manga translation

lordjorge

the steps in manga translation

i wanted to know what exactly are the steps in manga translation i already know how to sub and episode but this is entirely new

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
1. Scan in the manga pages
2/3. Level and clean the pages
3/2. Translate the scans
4. Add the translation to the scans.
5. Check for any mistakes
6. Resize and save as PNG
7. Release

:)

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Leveling is making the whites pure white and the blacks pure black, and just making the page overall look good.

Cleaning is where you remove all the Japanese text.

It's time consuming, and you obviously need to know how to speak Japanese in order to translate it.

Devkyu

Wha...?
And then for some pages, there are "doubles" where the art is spread across two full pages, so you need to piece them together, align them correctly, and redraw whatever is missing in the middle in case it was clipped during printing.

And depending on the project, some japanese text that covers the artwork is erased and artwork redrawn.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Doubles n Redraws are death!
9/10 Raw > Translation > Work, but depending how i decide to work so for example we have all Zelda raws but not translations so in this case Raw > Clean > Translation etc

onkeikun

私語が多いって言われるよ。でもそんなの 関係ねぇ
If you have Photoshop, you'll often need to use the Clone tool to make a page look pretty. Leveling pages is easy enough since you only need to adjust the brightness/contrast, but depending on how well you scan a page, you may see "dust" around the pages that you'll either have to erase with care, paint over, etc.

Then there's the quality of the original page; Shounen Jump magazine has toilet paper quality and I've had personal experience cleaning up those scans. It was pure horror that I never want to go through again.

I've known people in danger of carpal tunnel syndrome because of editing manga for too long. It takes a really long time (more than two hours on average) to edit and translate a high quality scanslation to completion, but only a few minutes for the reader to read it. And people wonder why scanslation groups feel miffed when readers under-appreciate their work.

Rein

The Mysterious Stranger
Scipio;12082 said:
Leveling is making the whites pure white and the blacks pure black, and just making the page overall look good.

Not so much. It's true that the level option can be used to make pages black and white, but if you make them "true", you'll over brightness/contrast the image, making it poor in quality (jagged edges, less foreground and background detail). "True" leveling is getting a good balance between white, black, and grays, by using the little eye-dropper tools inside the leveling box in photoshop (I don't know how it works in other programs, so forgive me). For instance, when I start leveling an image, I take the white-eyedropper and select a pretty clean white patch (one that doesn't have any background or digital fragments), and then follow around and do the same thing with the black-eyedropper. If allowed, I sometimes (very rarely) use the gray one to even out the image a bit, but that's usually not needed. Now, that method doesn't guarantee anything, so you have to mess around with the sliders a bit or even add a curve adjustment layer on top of that (or even another level layer).

It's time consuming, and you obviously need to know how to speak Japanese in order to translate it.

Well, you really need to only learn how to read. >_>; My Japanese teacher's wife knows how to read and write in like, 7 different languages, but she can't speak in most of them.

Devkyu

Wha...?
And I almost forgot! When placing text in the boxes, sometimes a sentence is broken between two bubbles, but in the script you're given, it might be written as one... so already knowing some Japanese is good when figuring out what goes in which text bubble or what is a sound effect.

In some manga it's difficult to tell all the time... like Bartender, where SFX were in speech bubbles also @_@. One page was hell because I was all "Why the hell do I have an empty bubble!?" so I went back to the raw and read it over and realize that I put text in the wrong bubbles. It was due to the fact I erase all the text of the entire chapter first, then whenever I get around to it, put the text in.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
now you know why i sometimes wait til i have a script before i work on mine....
oh and the evil dirt QCs (shudders)

lordjorge

i am using photoshop for the first time and i want to crop a part of a page how do i do it i have the cs3 extended by the way?

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Use the rectangular marquee tool, highlight it, and then copy :)