The んです Sentence Form

Hitomaru

Translator, empty...
The んです Sentence Form

In Japanese, there are two ways to disseminate facts:

a) A simple sentence, simply taken as a report (declarative sentence).
b) Or, a sentence that offers an explanatory/apologetic tone (んです) sentences.

The んです sentence form is simply another mode of explaining things. Aside from literally accounting for something, or describing something, it offers an apologetic tone in addition to it. That is, sentences in this form actually goes beyond explicitly stated ideas - there are implied ideas that actually accompany the obvious fact. e.g. like reasons why this ____happened, etc.

For example:

A simple sentence: 明日試験があります。

Now, if you compare it with this other sentence:

明日試験があるんです。

One may notice it has a tone of suggestion. That is, another fact may accompany the idea of simply having a test tomorrow.

In other words, "the sentence-final expression んです serves as the link between what the sentence says and what it accounts for" (Banno et al,1999).

Compare the following:

Example1:

明日試験があります。 ---> I have a test tomorrow.
明日試験があるんです。--->I have a test tomorrow (so I can't go out tonight).

Example2:

トイレに行きたいです。--->I want to go to the toilet.
トイレに行きたいんです。--->I want to go to the toilet (so tell me where it is).

Aside from the power of suggestion it may have, the んです sentence form can be used to air an apologetic tone when you are talking to someone, and you are sorry to that person at the same time.

Example: You happen to be late for school and you are trying to explain to a classmate why you were late.

バスが来ませんでした。--->The bus didn't arrive (literally, and after that period. Nothing more.)

With んです。

バスが来なかったんです。--->The bus didn't arrive (so, I got late).

In short, んです sentences can have a suggestive tone and/or an apologetic tone attached to it.

Predicates preceding んです are always in short form: affirmative or negative; present tense or past tense. In formal writing, んです is usually written out longer as のです. Moreover, んです (question form: んですか) can even be more casual as んだ or in casual question form, just の

Another example:

試験が終わったんです。---> The exam is over (so I am happy)!

Also, んです sentences can invite further clarification or explanation in matters. Usually with どうして or どうした. Note: a どうしたんですか questions is best answered by an んです sentence, with its subject marked with が than は.

Example:

Q: どうして彼女と別れたんですか?--->Why did you break up with your girlfriend?
A: 彼女、全然歯を磨かないんです。--->Oh, she doesn't brush her teeth (and that's enough a reason to do so).

Last, you can use this sentence form to give more input/comment

A: とてもいいアニメの翻訳ですね。---> That's a great anime translation you're watching.
B: ええ、ふたまるさんが翻訳したんです。---> Yeah, it's because Futamaru translated it (for your information).

As a final note, if んです is preceded by a na-adj or a noun, a な must be appended before it is attached to the noun.

Example: (na-adj)
1) 静かなんです。
2) 親切なんです。

Example: (noun)
1) 学生なんです。
2) 翻訳者なんです。

Point is, one should be aware of context and that this sentence form imply other ideas than what is merely specified. :)

Source:

Banno, E., Ohno, Y., Sakane, Y., Shinagawa, C., & Tokashiki, K. (1999). Genki I: Integrated approach to elementary Japanese. Japan: Japan Times.

Hitomaru

Translator, empty...
More info. soon. This can be handy to remember especially for translation related work or whatsoever. :D

If anyone has any knowledge of anything whatsoever as along as it Japanese language related, share please ^_^ haha. *learning*

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
I've never gave a **** about this during my Japanese lesson, coz I found it troublesome to remember it by heart... :eek:

Warrock6690;99603 said:
A: とてもいいアニメの翻訳ですね。---> That's a great anime translation you're watching.
B: ええ、ふたまるさんが翻訳したんです。---> Yeah, it's because Futamaru translated it (for your information).

I'm flattered! ^^

Hitomaru

Translator, empty...
I know right? I even screwed up the exercises in this part of the Genki book ~ what are you saying (implying)? LOL haha But I get it more or less nao. ^_^