One (well, 46, technically) for the books: Mega Man in the Guiness Book

megaman4ever

One (well, 46, technically) for the books: Mega Man in the Guiness Book

How the heck did this get past us? Back in March, the Guinness people published the Guinness World Records: Gamer’s Edition 2008, which contains an amazing amount of gamer ephemera and questionable records. Amongst the records recorded is “Most Number of Games In a Single Series,” handed to our very own Blue Bomber.

That’s right, the Mega Man franchise has been recognized as being milked like no other milking in the history of video game milkings! The Guinness Book recognizes 46 games, but I’m pretty sure that the actual total is far more than twice that number (even Wikipedia lists more than 100 titles). According to IGN, Guinness sez that:

There are 17 games in the “classic” series starring the original character. There are also 11 Mega Man X games, four Mega Man Zero games, two Mega Man ZX games, three Mega Man Legends games, six Mega Man Battle Network games, plus three Mega Man Star Force games

Let’s fix this number! Fer instance, off the top of my head, they are forgetting:

Mega Man Soccer (fun fact: Mega Man’s first appearance on the SNES!)

Mega Man Battle & Chase (only hit the US in the Mega Man Collection)

Mega Man Powered Up! (PSP remake of MM1)

Mega Man Rock Board (Japanese-only, Mega Man-themed board game)

Mega Man Power Battle (arcade game designed for kids)

Super Adventure Mega Man (Dragon’s Lair-stylee anime adventure, released in Japan around Mega Man’s tenth birthday)

Somebody get on this project and figure out how many friggin’ Mega Man games there have been, please. We’re counting Mega Man games only, not appearances in other games (Marvel Vs. Capcom, Dead Rising, Cannon Spike, etc. do not count) Semi-Official Capcom Gold Star of Complementarianism and some kinda random prize to whoever completes this assignment successfully!

PrimoPiccolo

After 100 Million Nights... I'm back!
I wouldn't count remakes toward a total. Judging by that standard, you could just give every game in a franchise a graphics makeover with a couple of mini-games and sell it as a brand new product.

But that is a very interesting statistic. Mega Man is pretty much God when it comes to sequels.

Trivial

Kinda agree with Primo
Just wanna add some
As for myself, i have nothing since in my country here, Megaman or Rockman things are kinda less, or just a few that are being known
So, i dunno about the state of how many sequels that our Blue Bomber has, up until now
Kinda surprised when i heard that he had so many sequels that even written in the Guiness Book

I just know these :
Megaman X = 8 + CM + MMHX + MMXtreme
Megaman Legend = 2
Megaman Zero = 4
Megaman Battle Network = 6
Megaman Star Force = 3

But for Megaman Classic, i dunno how many sequels that had been made

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
zsaberslash;46647 said:
There's a mistake 6 Battle network games but 3 star force. This was released before RnR3 was announced, strange...
Leo, Pegasus, and Dragon. That's where the numbers come from.

StelarSX

Jack In!
Oh...

Wait, then it'd be.. 10 BN Games.

Anyway. In some Marvel Arcade Game System there's MegaMan and Rush. (Original)

King Dusk

so i herd u liek mudkipz?
If Leo, Dragon, and Pegasus count as seperate games, after Tribe series, and the supposable 3 games for RNR3, it'll be nine.

Also, let's not forget DASH and it's sequel, for the PSOne, IIRC.

Dengar

You know, the Guinness book is right if you only count the main series games.

The game boy games weren't really main series, and neither were the board games and such.

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
Dengar;47658 said:
You know, the Guinness book is right if you only count the main series games.

The game boy games weren't really main series, and neither were the board games and such.

You beat me to it.

They said "In a single series". If we counted *all* of them Mario would probably have Megaman beat twice over. He's pushing something like 100.

MegaBly101

Some Guy
6 battle network games? i dont think so tim. If any of you got Megaman Battle Chip Challenge for the GBA you would know its as good as any of the regular battle network games (was indeed quite fun really). Also if any of you recall there was a gamecube release called Megaman Network Transmission (where the Zero virus in Beast+ made his appearence). Finally im not sure if this one in particular might count but the MMBN 5 for the DS was sort of in its own way a seperate game, seperate platform, a couple of new features such as the gateway to slot in your old MMBN games (one of them being battle chip challenge aswell) and the bass cross fusion *drool* once again which made its appearence in the megaman anime movie, think it was called "the program of light and dark"

Besides Mario has enough gaming records as it is, especially the record for most game copies sold of all time (Super Mario Bros.)

Dengar

In terms of main series games, neither Battle Chip Challenge, Real Operation, or Transmission count. They're spinoffs.

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
I think BCC was a spinoff after BN2 (BN3?) was made. It seems to follow the font layout and general appearance, anyway.