No sound? ;-;

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
No sound? ;-;

Ok so I just reformatted my compy. Maybe I did the bad by leaving the plug of the speakers into the tower but...

NOW I DON'T HAVE SOUND.

Any way to fix it? @_@;;;

Also, any free DVD-burning programs? I didn't use the recovery discs for the HP compy because i don't WANT those... (except you know... they came with a dvd burning prog)

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
This happened to my brothers computer after restarting it fresh from the start :<

The only way we were able to fix it was to get a new sound card ;_;

Hopefully, it's not the same problem, in your case...

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
ergh or maybe buy new speakers? these speakers are like 9 years old? prolly...

neochu

FUZZY~~
hmm check the sound drivers and pay a visit to MU(microsoft update) for those. Its most likely an issue with those. Their probably not a part of the fresh install package. If your worried about speakers than plug a pair of headphones in to see if its working. But if theres power to the speakers and their still sensitive they might be allright.

You will wanna verify if the sound hardware still actually works before you go to replace it.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Well the speakers only plug into the computer. And... @_@ Actually my headphones didn't get anything either.

And if it was my sound card, why would my sound card die.... WHEN I REFORMATTED IT?

<_< er... >_>

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Er, heh, I downloaded drivers from the HP site but i've been stuck at this
4ykntqu.jpg

for awhile... as the clock shows. PDT time..

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
Well if it is a HP computer there is sometimes a driver disc, so you would need to install all the driver you want, if not, well then I am still thinking that you have a HP computer and you need to get the drivers off the internet, and this should be easy. Though I am not a fan of HP. Here are some steps this is the first time for me.

1. What is you computer model?
2. input the computer model in to this site. (The box after "For product)."
3. The if it gives a list select the region of the computer select yours.
4. Then select the OS (Operating system).
5. Then find the sound driver (Very slim chance of finding it here).

Oh, and one more thing, this is a HP computer right? Then when you installed the Windows whatever version. What cd did you use, did you use a new copy or the disc that came with the computer. Because if you didn't use the disc that came with the computer, then there maybe drivers that are not currently installed. HP puts most of the essential divers on the setup/recovery cd, then when window is installing it installs some of the drivers then.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Well it didn't come with a cd from my understanding. We made 9 Recovery discs... that I used when my computer just fucking died after I tried the driver download from the HP site. >_> It killed my computer then. I was stuck on the starting up screen. So.... I did another reformat but using the 9 discs.

Using Windows XP just plain = not good. I was hoping to ditch some of their Imaging Shit or their Photosmart shit but gah. Too much stuff they put in. Why can't they just gimme something that works and I can put in the programs?!

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
I'd say figure out what sound card you DO have and Google for the drivers. Nine times out of ten windows updates will do nothing anyway. I have about 4 recovery disks for mine and run into the same problem before with things not installing properly once you reformat. More than likely it's either something conflicting (old drivers vs new) or they're just not installed properly to begin with. Once you get everything you NEED to have the computer function uninstall the sound drivers, do the whole restart thing and try to reinstall them through your recovery disks.
This is also a silly thing, but if you've got a desktop open it up and blow some dust out of it. Strangely enough I've had that happen before when my graphics card wont read properly and things look like they're covered in mold. :confused:
If that fails... hit it :D

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I resolved the problem by using the 9 recovery discs. Freakin pain though since I DON'T WANT THE FREAKIN HP shit. >_>; Only thing I wanted were the nice little drivers that are working now.

~ I hate you HP. Or... I hate my computer that didn't just come with cds for everything I needed and a setup disc not the 9 disc shit. DX

neochu

FUZZY~~
a good reason why OEMs are a pice of crap in my opinion they dont work well in situations like this with all the bloatware they give you. But you have to remember thats how they keep the pcs below market hardware cost.

And yea better find out your mobo make and model fast so you can go to the manufacturers site to pick up the drivers for the audio as well as any video networking or BIOS updates. and burn them to another cd thatll be handyv if it ever happens again. Then you can use the HP disk only for the OS recovery. You may also wanna invest in a separate sound card and get rid of using onboard sound completely (which SUCKS IMO).

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
"a good reason why OEMs are a pice of crap in my opinion they dont work well in situations like this with all the bloatware they give you. But you have to remember thats how they keep the pcs below market hardware cost.

And yea better find out your mobo make and model fast so you can go to the manufacturers site to pick up the drivers for the audio as well as any video networking or BIOS updates. and burn them to another cd thatll be handyv if it ever happens again. Then you can use the HP disk only for the OS recovery. You may also wanna invest in a separate sound card and get rid of using onboard sound completely (which SUCKS IMO)."

(Sorry couldn't do the quote command I was typing this one when it was posted)

Well I have never had a problem with OEM vers of Windows in fact I recommend it to all my friends if they don't have there own legit vers, I have many version, and they install with no bloatware. They are way cheaper that retail and their almost the same. Also I already gave the instruction to the manufactures site and how to obtain the drivers if it is there is any to DL. Also on board sound is not crap, sure it is not like the new X-FI but for most people it is good enough or they need, they also might no have he best speakers to hear the difference. They have the basic need for the average person. Like one of my friends computer which I made it was a EVGA Nforce 680I SLI LGA775 A1 model and it comes with a 7.1 channel, Azalia (HDA) with SPDIF out (Optical). That is good enough for most people.

Another question, did you computer come with a OS (Usually do)? If so it is illegal not to give you the disc and the serial number (To my knowledge). So you have to find the original disc. This is why I hate pre-made computers, I only make them. Check everywhere for the disk, if not well there is other ways but it's hard. Try to find it first if not I can give you other advice.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I'm pretty sure that I was never given the OS disc. When I used the 9 recovery discs that I made when I started this new compy about 5 (wow it has almost been 5..) years ago, I was prompted to make 9 Recovery Discs. There's also a D partition (like a new harddrive) that is also secured for Recovery I believe.

On one thing it says "There are no CDs to lose - it's on your hard drive.

So when I restarted today, I didn't even activate Windows like I did when I tried it with the XP thing my brother uses.

So I believe there IS no original disc except for the recovery discs i used. Meh it's fine now. But it was so much nicer with just the OS >_>;;

I dunno if having the drivers downloaded now would help me. When I did it with OS cd my bro had, it kept saying it couldn't find files and it sill decided to say "restart computer to complete update" and it proceeded to freeze the computer. Which is why I spent a while to reformat using the 9 cds.... took forever. DX

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
Okay, lets start from the beginning. This is the first time I have every seen a computer with no recovery cd and they put it all on the hard drive under another partition (I think that is stupid and cheap). My first advice it to first back up all the information on the partition that has the recovery info on it. This is going to be the safety measure. Then after you backed up all the info (This is up to you, personally I would). Then please tell me some of the files and the folders that are present, this will tell me what maybe is on it like program or file wise. Since I am not there this is going to be hard. Oh and I forgot to ask, right now you have windows installed and what problems do you have right now? Because if it is just the sound we can try another thing first. Though starting from the beginning would be the best option if you have all the info backed up and time. This way I can lead you step by step to the best of my ability.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Well I don't have any more problems after I did the second reformat with the 9 recovery discs that I made when I first got the computer. Supposedly these are the same discs on the Partition D drive.

I just meant that, if I ever wanted to do a reformat again, I doubt I could use a CD with the OS to reformat. It seems that my computer needed the 9 recovery discs.

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
Ya, those disk are designed to install all the necessary drivers and programs that HP has set for you. This way you don't need all the discs for the different components, though that has to be lots of misc programs that it installed.