Need help with sound problem

Taisuru

Need help with sound problem

I am running windows xp and for some reason when I plug headphones in, the sound still comes out of the speakers as well as the headphones.

ankoku

It sounds more like a problem with the speakers. As far as I know it's the speakers that control whether they have sound or not when you plug in your headphones...

/dev/urandom

Where are you plugging the headphones into? A port on the speakers? A port on the computer? A splitter which the speakers are plugged into too?

In the first case, the speakers should disable their output when you plug headphones in. The speakers either don't support that (unlikely) or are defective.

In the second case, the computer should disable the speaker output when headphones are plugged in, BUT not all computers support it. It may be a hardware issue that doesn't support it, it may be the drivers at fault. At any rate, it is NOT Windows's fault directly.

In the last case ... well yeah, neither the computer nor the speakers know anything about the headphones. Turn the speakers off. :)

Tcatomon

Boom de yada boom de yada
/dev/urandom;1767 said:
Turn the speakers off. :)

Generally if you turn the speakers off your headphones will turn 'off' with it :p

Agreed though, something's not right with those speakers. You try another pair of speakers or headphones?

My second guess would be they're not plugged in all the way. Mine do that if the connection isn't touching just right and I'll get sound in the speakers and headphones.

Woo. I'm full of not-helpful. lol.

/dev/urandom

Tcatomon;1813 said:
Generally if you turn the speakers off your headphones will turn 'off' with it :p

... only if the headphones plug into the speakers, which is not always the case. In this case, I have a feeling it is not the case.

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
Turn it off physically and not using windows. My case doesn't support jack sensing and it'll work if I turn off my speakerr.