NDS Lite and Action Replay... Risks?

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
NDS Lite and Action Replay... Risks?

So I keep contemplating overnight whether or not I want to go get an Action Replay for my DS. Suggestions? Tips? Advice?

I don't even know why I want it tbh but I keep having this urge to just grab some of my money and buy it.... tomorrow morning

Kaitou_Yahiko

*Poke*
Staff member
That Girl With the Hair
I heard once a long time ago that it could kill your DS. But that was while ago. And I haven't noticed anything wrong with mine so far. I've had an Action replay for awhile now. DS seems fine.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
So, you want advice about the game-hacking variety of cheating?

As a Gamestop employee, and somewhat decent gamer, I am here to tell you the risks of hacking the game in order feel slightly less worthless about yourself and your mad and/or fail skills.

First - I must inform you that hacking devices, such as Gameshark and Action Replay, if abused too often, have a significant change of permanently fscking up your game/savefiles.

Second - To most gamers, there's 5 areas of skill -

• White -You don't need glitches or hacking, you've got mad skills and are not afraid to show them off. Glitches? Hacking? Pfft, those are for losers with no skill!
  • Gray - You don't mind utilizing in-game glitches and cheats. After all, they're in game, and (for in-game cheats) the developers intended for those whom wanted to use them to use them. However, you won't lower yourself to hacking. Either you don't want to risk corrupting your game with hacking devices, or you won't lower yourself to using them.
  • Black - The scourge of gamers. These guys don't care about hacking the game in order to beat it. They feel so good about themselves, since they beat the game. But we all know that they're worthless piles of crap, because they had to hack in invulnerability to do so. Even 5 year olds have more skill than them. They're looked down upon and spat at by the gaming community.
  • Blue - These guys use hacking tools, but NOT for the reason of beating the game. That's what skill is for! Instead, these guys are the guys who will become future game makers. They hack the game to understand the game. They are programmers at core, and try to use these hacking devices to put new and more inventive ways to play the game, as well as to learn the game's coding itself. These guys are also the ones that put out all those sweet mods that allow you enjoy new stories in your favorite games.
  • Red - These guys hack the game to make it HARDER. They're that insane, and have that much skill. They've got more skill than even the purest of white gamers, because while the white gamer deals with a 100% difficulty, these crazy blokes amp it up to over 9000% just for the thrill of the challenge. Watch out, when not using the hacks for insane challenge, these guys are the ones wiping the floor with you in multiplayer matches for breakfast. They're as hardcore as they get.

Now then, if you're asking about it because you're a Black gamer, I'll have to start bashing you for being so worthless. However, most people aren't black gamers, so I'll assume you're either Blue or Red. In this case, just remember to be careful, as these thing CAN corrupt your savefiles and cartridges alike. NO gaming system is immune to possibility to corruption due to these devices. It's up to you.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
I'm making a new colour - green. This is for people who have to use it to complete the game (i.e they don't have wi-fi to trade over pokemon or a second DS.)

That is the only time i really use mine.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Oh I bet that's why my Pokemon Silver died. Not that it was some cheap cartridge from thailand my neighbor gave me and its battery died but because after beating Ash 10000x I started to duplicate my Pokemon. j/k

I was thinking of using it for Digimon Dawn and CTDS. After beating Dawn and beating CT in almost every way imaginable on SNES and PS1 I almost don't want to continue grinding through the DS XD

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Hmm, you'd need a bunch of clearly defined rules for that, though. Most people who do that are actually Black gamers. Games that force human interaction in order to complete, I can understand that, but if it's a different type of game, then you're not green, you're Black.

CTDS? Dude, it's not that hard to grind. Heck, it's easy as freaking hell. You can gain levels in no time, thanks to stuff like the Conveyor Belt in Geno Dome, and the extra areas. Don't bother with cheating to do it.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
It's the time issue <_< As an EE major I haven't had much time to play it since I got it after thanksgiving. Hell I'm barely starting to go use the jetbike while my brother got it for Christmas is at Black Omen ><;

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Just like people whom pay others to level them up on MMOs, such an action to 'catch up' to your brother will ostracize you as a Black Gamer. Now then, if you wanna increase all the enemies stats to 150% normal and call it hard mode, that I'm cool with, but if you use it to amp up XP because you're impatient, then expect to be bashed by everyone you tell it you did it to. Hell, people get mad at me for overleveling at times (though, the reason I was bashed was because I revived Crono last, after every other character's individual quests, after the unlocked new features, and right before going to the Black Omen, so I was WAY overleveled by the time I reached Death Peak. Silly GameFAQs and their strange love for Crono...). If people will bash you for being overleveled, you'd BETTER believe that you'll be bashed for hacking in a higher level.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
I was bashed by my cousins for leveling to level 10 before I even went 600 AD. Of course that meant I spent like 5 minutes in the Cathedral <_<;

Splash

<b>Super Moderator</b><br>♥ TOMATO ♥
If you don't want to run the risk of "damaging" your hardware then just get a flashcart like CycloDS that can run the action replay stuff along with everything else, Kage. D: You still have the legit cart so you've supported the original already.

StelarSX

Jack In!
If you want a AR, it's your choice. Sometimes, it's good to have. Just don't overload the game you'll use it on with too many cheats. Your game will get erased.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Yay, I'm blue~

Sorry for spam, I never hack, except for a very few times.

To get Darkrai etc in Pokémon before they were done in events (be fair, I live in england and have no way to get to london or whatever)

or

In super smash bros brawl, I plan to make a machinema with it and it will come in handy forthings like recording super sonic, who otherwise would require the scene to be complete within 10 seconds.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Actually, John, you can get Shaymin and Darkrai via a glitch in the game (as they exist in in-game places). You don't need to cheat except for Arceus, I believe.

Matze149

Assistant Pig-Keeper
Staff member
give me a bit time to think of a text
You can get all 3 of them; But that glitch only works in the japanese version of the game (they found out about it and removed it in our versions...). It was something about walking through a wall in the Pokemon League, but you need the exact directions or you´ll end up somewhere else.

I personally only cheat AFTER beating the game (In F.E.A.R. for example, after beating the game on the hardest difficult, I wanted to see a gun you only get by cheat and I wanted to see if I get killed by Alma in the last fight even with godmode if she touches me (It looks like an instant-kill, but now I know that it only deals around 10k damage (Even though you´ll never get that much HP)). It´s fun for me to see, how a game works, but I wouldn´t cheat just to beat the game.

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Role;83583 said:
Actually, John, you can get Shaymin and Darkrai via a glitch in the game (as they exist in in-game places). You don't need to cheat except for Arceus, I believe.

I believe they were removed for the PAL version.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Wrong Glitch. I speak of a different glitch, where you overload the DS's ram, and exploit the plunder.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Hrm I know how selling back to gamestop is a bit... merrrr

But do you think i could get at least 50 bucks with a GBA SP (with charger), a tony hawk GBA game, Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Final Fantasy III (DS), Soul Bubbles, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time?

Splash

<b>Super Moderator</b><br>♥ TOMATO ♥
I'd hope you could get the $50 just from those games themselves if not more XDDD I sold my FFIII for $30, although I also sold it with the limited edition pouch/cleaner set whatever that I hadn't opened. But KH:CoM, Pokemon and probably Advance Wars 2 are still popular games so you should get good prices for those.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Oh and Mario Kart DS. XD;

I've had the experience of a friend trying to sell some pS2 games and being told she could get a quarter. xD