MKVs MP4s taking forever to open

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
MKVs MP4s taking forever to open

Okay, on my laptop, when I open MKVs in MPC, it takes a good minute or two (if not more) to open, while on my main computer (which just can't seek without freezing up or render softsubs without skipping a few lines with h264 versions), opens using the same time it does with AVIs.

Another issue is that MP4s (ZOIDS, specifically) just don't seem to like to open whatsoever. MPC kind of just stalls halfway, even though I have open other MP4s before on the computer, but it took a good 15 minutes before starting.

This does not happen to AVIs, where they open pretty much instantaneously.

And completely off-topic issue is that the video card driver dies once in a while when watching stuff (any format). But, that, I think, is just me needing to update my drivers, even though I got this laptop in June.

Just wondering what could be done about the opening times... I really am not to inclined to wait half an hour each time to watch a twenty minute episode.

Edit: Dunno if I posted this in the right place or not.

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
The container matters not.
You can have what you have in an avi in an mp4 (which might be the case).

Might want to look into CoreAVC to see if that codec will run h264 easier... (it's not free... but torrents are amazing)

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Psyduck Disciple;70533 said:
The container matters not.
You can have what you have in an avi in an mp4 (which might be the case).

I don't think that's the case.

Psyduck Disciple;70533 said:
Might want to look into CoreAVC to see if that codec will run h264 easier... (it's not free... but torrents are amazing)

MKVs, for some odd reason, stopped taking forever (even without CoreAVC). So, forget about the MKV problem. It probably was because I had too many things going on in the background last time I tried.

Just MP4s are still not working. This is what happens. I think this laptop just hates that type of container. >_>

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
I just use FFDShow... I guess I'll try reinstalling that.

Nope, same results, I guess I'll just live with avoiding MP4s with this laptop and watching them with my desktop computer instead.

But, thanks for the help, Scar.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Though I never had CCCP to begin with, I guess I'm going to have to install it at this rate.

Installed CCCP (and updated my ffdshow)... it works!

In the end, CCCP got it working.

Thanks digi.