Keyboard Problems

Devkyu

Wha...?
Keyboard Problems

Eh, might as well start off the first topic here... at least until FET unidles so I can pester him about it.

My keyboard, after every windows update and after some random restarts, stops working. I plug it in and the lights blink on it, showing it was plugged in, but it doesn't respond at all after that. I've done this with TWO keyboards.

After asking around, I may need to Repaire my Windows XP system by popping in the install disk and clicking Repair at some point during the "installation". Well, since I've only installed Windows Xp ONCE before, I'm not sure where on the disk it is and really don't want to risk destroying everything on my hard drive by clicking the wrong thing... so... WHERE is the Repair option when installing Windows XP Home from the disk?

ChikoritaKaizer

Quality Check<br><span style="color: #1894fe;"><b>
Have you tried using a keyboard that uses a different connector? If so, does the same thing happen?

_Z-mon_

I'd also check to see if you have all the right drivers for your keyboard. Sometimes those can get messed up and need to be reinstalled.

Devkyu

Wha...?
Used a USB keyboard too. Same exact problem. Reinstalled drivers before, but still same problem. Hopefully repairing windows will work.

KouseiKibou

WHERE is the Repair option when installing Windows XP Home from the disk?

I popped in my XP Home disc on my other PC so I can type this up for you and not be 100% wrong.

First you boot with the CD, you'll go through all of the crap and then you'll get a menu. You'll get an option to go to a "Recovery Console". That isn't what you want.

Instead, hit ENTER for installing Windows. Agree to the EULA and it will scan for installs. THIS IS WHERE YOU MAKE THE DECISION.

I have only repaired once, and it was a total pain in the ass. All it does it take a fresh copy of WinXP from your disc and reinstall it over your old one, while keeping your files safe. That means that all your updates since your last install will be rolled back, and that may cause a problem. The only time I did a repair was with a SP2 install with a SP1 disc. That was about as much fun as pulling my toenails out.

If you really want to repair, hit "R" here. But, if you decide to do neither, don't hit "ESC" at this screen. Because "ESC" tells the installer to do a clean wipe and install. Instead, if you want out, hit "F3" here.

Pretty much, just follow the on-screen instructions and you should be fine. The copy I have running right now is really an WinXP Home Upgrade disc, but they're pretty much similar.

If someone wants to correct me or add on to what I said, then by all means do. Good luck.

Devkyu

Wha...?
Okay... didn't work, only for the fact that I need to hit any key on the NON-WORKING KEYBOARD to boot from the CD. Ironic. I might need to use this laptop for my work... hopefully its pitiful memory can handle it.

KouseiKibou

Your keyboard doesn't work at all before going into Windows? If you can't get any keyboards to work and it's not Windows doing it, then you might have a deeper problem.

Did you make any changes to your BIOS/CMOS settings recently? Because I know there's a option in most of them that enables USB keyboards.

KouseiKibou

I thought he was having problems with his PS/2 one, and THEN he tried the USB keyboard.

If not, then a PS/2 keyboard would probably work then, because I've never heard of that problem with both a PS/2 and a USB keyboard. It's usually either one or the other port that goes out. Of course, it's not unheard of to lose both ports due to unfortunate static accidents. But I seriously doubt that happened.

ChikoritaKaizer

KouseiKibou;893 said:
I thought he was having problems with his PS/2 one, and THEN he tried the USB keyboard.

If not, then a PS/2 keyboard would probably work then, because I've never heard of that problem with both a PS/2 and a USB keyboard. It's usually either one or the other port that goes out. Of course, it's not unheard of to lose both ports due to unfortunate static accidents. But I seriously doubt that happened.

I wasn't sure, she never specified if she used a PS/2 keyboard or not, so I thought I'd suggest it just in case she hadn't used one.

/dev/urandom

*she

I interpret "Used a USB keyboard too." to mean that she normally uses a PS/2 keyboard. USB keyboards WILL NOT WORK before Windows (or whatever OS you use) loads the driver for it (that is, when the bootup logo is on the screen) unless you turn USB Legacy Support on in the BIOS. Depending on the age of the machine, it may default to either on or off. Recent machines have it on. Old (3-4+ years) machines have it off.

If a PS/2 keyboard doesn't work, I'm going to say the PS/2 port is dieing, the keyboard is dieing, or the BIOS is crapping itself (which is highly unlikely).

Devkyu, your posts are not clear as to whether you have used two PS/2 keyboards and a USB keyboard or if you have used two keyboards in total (i.e., a PS/2 and a US8). If it's the latter, I'd try a different PS/2 keyboard to see if that works.

THEN AGAIN, there's no reason why a USB keyboard wouldn't work once Windows is up and running. =\

You've got me stumped.

Devkyu

Wha...?
I normally used a PS/2 keyboard that came with the computer. A few months ago (probably 3 or 4 by now), after a Windows Automatic update, my keyboard "stopped working". After playing with it for a while (restarting, plugging back in repeatedly) it worked. Then when the next windows update hit, it did it again. Along with almost all windows updates, sometimes when I shut down and turn on or just restart my comp, it would stop working again.

I got frustrated and bought a USB keyboard, which worked fine... for a whole week and a half, then the same happened to it that happened to the PS/2 keyboard, it would conk out during some updates and restarts. This is no matter what USB port I used (I have 6), and funnily enough, every time after an update, that USB port would no longer work with that USB keyboard (but oddly, nothing else that uses the USB ports has ANY problems).

So, I was getting pissed two weeks ago and plugged BOTH in at once, and my computer immediately restarted itself. After that, the USB keyboard never worked and the PS/2 rose from its grave.

Now, recently I had to unplug my computer to dust it out, and when I turned it back on, same problem again.

So currently, whenever I plug in either the PS/2 or USB keyboard, they three lights on the top right of the keyboard blink a moment, then I get no more response from them at all, every time I plug them in.

When booting from the Windows XP Home install disk (before it enters windows), neither keyboard gives me any response.

Several of my friends have had similar problems (keyboards not working after updates or some restarts, thus they never want to turn their computers off).

The computer itself is 5 years old now. Compaq Presario 6000, never gave me any trouble before. I'd assume it was a hardware problem if it weren't for my friends having similar problems.

KouseiKibou

I used "he" a few times. Sorry.

And this problem has got me totally stumped also. The closest I've ever been to having this problem was having the PC freeze right after the three lights blinking on the top, but it sounds like your PC is booting just fine.

The fact that several of your friends have the same problem is weird also. Do they all happen to have Compaq Presario 6000s also? I once worked on a fund raising project refurbishing about 300 of the REALLY old Compaq Presarios (as in, around late 1990s models), and I've never seen this issue arise.

The only thing I can really think of is to suggest trying another PS/2 keyboard. Also, maybe try your first PS/2 keyboard in another PC to see if it works there.

Best case scenario is that your keyboard is crap and all you need is a new keyboard. Worst case is that your port is crap.

RamenRanger

Red Ramen Ranger
okay okay me compy has this problem all the time.

here what you do when it stops responding unplug it and then shut down the compy. when it off plug it back in and turn it back on. it should respond again .... a least mine does.

/dev/urandom

See, if it weren't for the whole not-working-before-Windows thing, I'd blame it on crapware...

I had some crazy issues with the keyboard in my 3-year-old Compaq laptop. Sometimes certain keys would stop working in certain programs. I don't think it'd be related to this outright failure, though. However, I believe a workaround was holding shift and pressing ~ (next to 1) a few times (it's been a while since I've used that computer). Again, I doubt it'd help in this situation, but it can't hurt anything. =\

I'm afraid it may be time to retire that computer. Older Compaq computers had a lot of idosyncracies (and they still do, sometimes).

Devkyu

Wha...?
I got the USB keyboard to work before windows (with the PS/2 adapter) after several tries. Now I have a whole NEW problem. When repairing windows, my damn product registration key doesn't work.

I really hate to say it, but at this point... I really hate this computer. That's it, I'm building a whole new damn computer, with 500 gigs of HD space and 4-8 gigs of Ram and it will be a MONSTER.

ChikoritaKaizer

Devkyu;936 said:
I got the USB keyboard to work before windows (with the PS/2 adapter) after several tries. Now I have a whole NEW problem. When repairing windows, my damn product registration key doesn't work.

I really hate to say it, but at this point... I really hate this computer. That's it, I'm building a whole new damn computer, with 500 gigs of HD space and 4-8 gigs of Ram and it will be a MONSTER.

Might I suggest a Mac Computer? You won't have to deal with all this crap if you get a Mac. :) (Check the refurbished section of Apple's website on tuesdays [when they update it] for terrific deals.)

KouseiKibou

Now I have a whole NEW problem. When repairing windows, my damn product registration key doesn't work.

Congrats, you have the PC from Hell.

Might I suggest a Mac Computer? You won't have to deal with all this crap if you get a Mac.

I agree on this suggestion. It's better, more stable, with standard hardware that won't flurp up as much. On top of that, if you get a Mac with an Intel CPU, you could use Boot Camp or Paraells (sp?) to run the stuff that is Windows only.

In fact, I might get a Mac for my next PC. Those Mac minis are just plain amazing.

ChikoritaKaizer

KouseiKibou;942 said:
Those Mac minis are just plain amazing.

I agree, I really want to get a Mac Mini in addition to my current MacBook Pro. 'Though I would wait until WWDC on June 11, as Apple usually releases updates to their computers then.