TC: 鹽 (yán)
SC: 盐
Kanji: 塩(shio)
Means: Salt

Case 2: Simplified kanji, but Chinese remains the same
TC: 壹 (yī)
SC: 壹
Kanji: 壱 (ichi)
Means: Capital "Number One". Used in legal documents.

Case 3: Simplified Chinese, but Kanji remains
TC: 幾 (jǐ,jī)​

SC: 几
Kanji: 幾 (iku)
Means: How many?

Case 4: Doesn't even exist in Chinese
Kokuji: 麿 (maro)
Equivalent Kanji/Chinese: 麻呂 (má lǚ)
Means: Used in names (Kiyomaro in Konjiki no Gash Bell)

Case 5: Doesn't exist in Japanese
TC/SC: 璐 (lù)
Means: Used in names (Paku Romi)

No thanks. I'd rather go Japan \o/

lmao, so do I!, aside from airplane stopovers at Nagoya whenever I go to America(about hmm 3 times already) haha? (3hrs roaming around the confines of the airport)/ At least I was able to step on Japan-ese land O_O.

You sure do know your Japanese and Chinese O_O. すげい、ふたまる君!ちょっと、羨ましいな!ハハ!:-p. Well, I've really only somewhat just started "appreciating" my Chinese language and stuff...somewhat partly after studying Japanese too. *never liked in 13 years of my past school before college @_@ - they just made us 'memorize' and wow...great* For sure, I will study Japanese first, and have my second chance at Chinese after, in tiem. lol

Again, I'm jaelooous of your caliber. xD. lol. I'll approach that someday (not yet even a year since I started my Jap, but I'm here heheh) *potential, chance!* haha :-p

Idol! :-p

Futamaru

A Translator, Not So Diligent...
Staff member
Warrock6690;98041 said:
lmao, so do I!, aside from airplane stopovers at Nagoya whenever I go to America(about hmm 3 times already) haha? (3hrs roaming around the confines of the airport)/ At least I was able to step on Japan-ese land O_O.

Now that makes me 羨ましい!

I wanted to go Hokkaido... Heard a lot it's a beautiful but cold place (never been to any places that have 4 seasons...)

Warrock6690;98041 said:
You sure do know your Japanese and Chinese O_O. すげい、ふたまる君!ちょっと、羨ましいな!ハハ!:-p. Well, I've really only somewhat just started "appreciating" my Chinese language and stuff...somewhat partly after studying Japanese too. *never liked in 13 years of my past school before college @_@ - they just made us 'memorize' and wow...great* For sure, I will study Japanese first, and have my second chance at Chinese after, in tiem. lol

I speak Chinese everyday, my friend...
Really Chinese is about memorizing... Coz they are all ideograms.

Warrock6690;98041 said:
Again, I'm jaelooous of your caliber. xD. lol. I'll approach that someday (not yet even a year since I started my Jap, but I'm here heheh) *potential, chance!* haha :-p

I was here right after I got to know hiragana :p (Greg will kill me if he knows this) I joined to learn Japanese (Hey, that's what fansub for... LEARNING!) I had a digital JP -> EN dictionary so I can check on the words.

You will surely able to not only approach, but surpass me if you you put you effort!

Warrock6690;98041 said:
I have had one here too... The name's Pazuzu, but he's been missing since... I think even before you joined...

A German, yet he knows almost about anything in Japan, a place on the other side of the globe... orz

Hitomaru

Translator, empty...
Err, I say, its ACTUALLY worse if you consider it O_O. It was like in our old system at school, we were made to memorize practically our book (ex. question and answer exercise), then ok, come the exam, THE EXACT SAME THING. All you had to do was, write everything from memory, then perfect! *don't make a writing mistake lol* And the answers to the questions...the teachers just shove it to us LOL (We never needed to understand much of it) It's sad really...the approach to Chinese here isn't as good...That is why even though I spent 13 years in my previous school, learning Chinese, I never really learned as much. It was only on the last 2 years during my stay at that same school did I at least learned to understand at *least* the basic...(They finally realized their folly and revised the Chinese system in our school - it became practical Chinese - mostly oral, still some written - they ask you questions you have to come up with your OWN answer - you really need to understand this time). Sigh...somewhat too late lol. OMG, did I mention we had to memorize, 'Our Father' in Chinese too X____X.

English/Filipino here. That's why.

I was here right after I got to know hiragana :p (Greg will kill me if he knows this) I joined to learn Japanese (Hey, that's what fansub for... LEARNING!) I had a digital JP -> EN dictionary so I can check on the words.

You will surely able to not only approach, but surpass me if you you put you effort!

Same thing for the same reason. I'm doing the same. My dictionary is Wakan. And, I hope to surpass you...in the future HAHAHA :-p. Not yet now, but getting there. Uhm, you let Greg-sama know just typing that LOL. He will kill me as well because we practically have a similar case altogether O_O.

Onkeikun lead the way for me, also after reading his blog lol.

Anyway, thank you for sharing haha. It's just really nice to know people. A glimpse to another person's life can be wisdom in a way...leads to mutual understanding :)

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
Case in point about learning Japanese:

There was one phrase I just couldn't wrap my head around on the Stream 20 translations.

Charlie: "Deai to jounetsu no shima, Resort Island da!"

Apparently "deai" means something along the lines of "encounter" (出合い), and "jounetsu" means what it's suppsed to mean, "passion" (情熱, translated as 熱情 in Chinese).

But the "no" following it had me stumped. An island of encounter and passion? It made no sense in English. Unless "de ai" is actually two words.

I think I have the basic grammar of Japanese down, but now what I need to do is study slightly more advanced verb conjugations (past "godan" and "ichidan") and listen to the speech patterns.

Pounce

Zodiac;98057 said:
Charlie: "Deai to jounetsu no shima, Resort Island da!"

Apparently "deai" means something along the lines of "encounter" (出合い), and "jounetsu" means what it's suppsed to mean, "passion" (情熱, translated as 熱情 in Chinese).

But the "no" following it had me stumped. An island of encounter and passion? It made no sense in English. Unless "de ai" is actually two words.
You've actually got it completely right. It might help to think of "encounter" more like a meeting between two people. I'm not familiar with Stream but I'm assuming this "Resort Island" is where people go for a vacation and fall in love, etc. Sometimes common Japanese concepts (they do this sort of thing all the time, haha) aren't as intuitive to us English speakers.

Hitomaru

Translator, empty...

Just addition info: Well, while と literally is 'and' but remember it isn't always the case. It can be a particle to indicate something is done equally by two people. Example: モールで私は友達と会った。 Compare that with モールで私は友達に会った。In the first sentence, it is evident that both you and your friend made an effort to actually meet in a mall. On the second sentence, it was only you who went to the mall and you just found and met your friend there.

I don't know the context of that sentence - need to see the episode haha. So, it can be something else, I don't know - maybe that's why its odd if it's taken literally.

Dang, you're done with the TL of both episodes, I'm lagging behind because of school related stuff ~ busy lol. O well haha.

Futamaru

Staff member
Pounce;98064 said:
You've actually got it completely right. It might help to think of "encounter" more like a meeting between two people. I'm not familiar with Stream but I'm assuming this "Resort Island" is where people go for a vacation and fall in love, etc. Sometimes common Japanese concepts (they do this sort of thing all the time, haha) aren't as intuitive to us English speakers.

Yeah. Some Japanese phrases can't even be translated accurately to its nearest neighbor's language (Chinese).

Or it could mean "A passionate island where people fall in love at the first sight". Though it's a *bit* lengthy...

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Futamaru;98046 said:
:-O!

Futamaru;98046 said:
I have had one here too... The name's Pazuzu, but he's been missing since... I think even before you joined...

A German, yet he knows almost about anything in Japan, a place on the other side of the globe... orz
He's Irish

Warrock6690;98055 said:
Onkeikun lead the way for me, also after reading his blog lol.
her

nezucho

<b>Encoder</b><br>Resident Rodent
Actually, I think the closest neighbor to Japanese grammatically is Korean. Korean and Japanese both use Chinese characters though (Korean not as much these days). I've only heard this from other people, so correct me if I'm wrong on this. I don't know a word of Korean.

Hitomaru

Translator, empty...
nezucho;98154 said:
Actually, I think the closest neighbor to Japanese grammatically is Korean. Korean and Japanese both use Chinese characters though (Korean not as much these days). I've only heard this from other people, so correct me if I'm wrong on this. I don't know a word of Korean.

Actually, you are correct. Japanese and Korean grammar are actually almost the same and because of that, some linguists argue they both go together under one language family...but still debatable. :p

Korean also uses Chinese characters as 'hanja', but the Korean government, if I remember, is trying to discourage the use of Chinese characters - a rather political and cultural reason. Instead, they have the words spelled out as hangul - phonetic, like Japanese also. It could be a move to simplify...not sure. :)

Oh no, Koroku has finally found out...what should we do, Futamaru? *runs away from Greg* ~~~~~/o/ :eek:

Oh, Onkeikun is girl...O_O. I'm sorry, I got deceived by the -kun suffix at the end har har :3 :p

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
Warrock6690;98065 said:
Just addition info: Well, while と literally is 'and' but remember it isn't always the case.

So it could actually mean "The land of passionate encounters" or "The land of passionate meetings", etc? I know "encounters" means something more like "meetings".

And don't feel bad about lagging. I'm only done so quickly because I have more time on my hands.

Futamaru

Staff member
Warrock6690;98175 said:
Actually, you are correct. Japanese and Korean grammar are actually almost the same and because of that, some linguists argue they both go together under one language family...but still debatable. :p

Is it? I thought Korean Grammar and Chinese grammar are the same...
*never studied Korean before*

Warrock6690;98175 said:
Korean also uses Chinese characters as 'hanja', but the Korean government, if I remember, is trying to discourage the use of Chinese characters - a rather political and cultural reason.

That's true... They used to limit it to only names, but now they use hangul for name too... FYI, you can find old dictionary written fully in Hanja.

Warrock6690;98175 said:
Oh no, Koroku has finally found out...what should we do, Futamaru? *runs away from Greg* ~~~~~/o/ :eek:
Greg won't bite... If he does, I would be dead long time ago :p

Zodiac;98189 said:
So it could actually mean "The land of passionate encounters" or "The land of passionate meetings", etc? I know "encounters" means something more like "meetings".

And don't feel bad about lagging. I'm only done so quickly because I have more time on my hands.

in this case, と means "and". So it's not encounters that are passionate. Also, I made a mistake about the "passionate". "Passionate" would be "情熱的な..." coz 情熱 is a 名詞 not 形容動詞.

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
Koroku;98196 said:
The joys of being a god :3

It's not because you're a god. I just forgot to put my teeth drills in. >:3

*bites Koroku, revealing the circuitry under his skin* Oh my god [no pun intended], you're a...[dies from shock]

[revives again, on order of Futamaru] So it means "the island of encounters and passion" then?

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Zodiac, I think (*is also only a measly CH > EN TL*) that would be right, since, as Futa said, 情熱 is a noun instead of an adjective.

However, I think "encounter" sounds a bit awkward, even though that would be the direct translation, but I can't think up of a good word to serve as an equivalent.