HOLD IT! Phoenix Wright Online

GSR

That one guy
HOLD IT! Phoenix Wright Online

I'll let the quote do the talking.

Hyarion said:
Anyways, hey, I'm Hyarion. I've been a lurker here ever since picking up the first game nearly a year ago, and it was mostly for the people here at Court Records that I made this game (otherwise I wouldn't have anyone to play it, ha.) It's been my little project for over half a year now, and it's great to actually be writing this after all that work.

As said in the title, my game is called "Ace Attorney: BYOND Edition". It's more of a utility than a game, actually, along the lines of the Objection Generator. The best way to describe it would probably be to say that it's like the Objection Generator in real-time, with other players watching and interacting with you. For example, you enter a courtroom (the game is divided into courtrooms, where anything done in one won't be seen in another) and choose to go to the defense bench. You enter a message and choose to have him say it while holding his paper (choosing an animation) and presenting a video tape as evidence (presenting evidence is optional.) Another player in the same room is playing as Edgeworth, so he sees this and objects (another optional choice) and points while saying his message. Here's screenshots of what that would looks like:

screenshot1lo5.png

screenshot2og5.png

As you can see, I've taken great pains to make everything pixel-perfect... you can even play it with a DS-sized screen for that authentic feel, hah. I've put in a good selection of music from the trilogy, and most of the necessary sound effects are there (Croik's recent sound effects packs should cover the rest nicely.)

There are two drawbacks to this game, though- first, not that many characters are in at the moment. There's Phoenix, Edgeworth, Mia, Gumshoe, and the Judge... one for each playable position. The good news is that I'm still working on this, and I'm planning a once-a-week release schedule. Every Monday (probably), at least one new character will be available, complete with all the animations. The evidence is incomplete as well- only non-case-specific stuff is available, so I'll be adding the case-specific evidence in with my Monday updates.

Second, playing the game isn't as easy as downloading an installer. It runs through a program called BYOND (Build Your Own Net Dream. It's not called "BYOND Edition" for nothing. :-p) Basically, it's like programming in C, except that BYOND takes care of all of the networking stuff for you. It's completely free, too... Sadly, though, they recently started displaying a few ads on their website. :sadshoe: To get in, you'll have to create an account on http://www.byond.com, download and install the software pack (it has the main BYOND program that you connect to games with, a program to make your own games, and another to host your games, but you would only care about the main program at this point), then go to my game's page and join. Don't let that deter you, though- it doesn't take long. Don't let all my hard work go to waste... :-p

Recap for those who didn't read the wall o' text above:
1. Go to http://www.byond.com. Register an account.
2. Go to http://www.byond.com/download. Download and install.
3. Go to http://www.byond.com/games/Hyarion/AceAttorney. Scroll to the bottom and click the join link. If you haven't logged in on (or even opened) the BYOND program you downloaded, it'll pop up and prompt you to enter your username and password. The game will then begin to load- if you've loaded it before, it'll just take a second, but if it's your first time, you'll have to wait for BYOND to pull down the files from the server. Because of all of the images, music, sound effects, etc., the whole package adds up to about 15 MB (large for a BYOND game) and it may or may not take a while to pull down the files (depends on your computer and connection speed.) Once in, you'll want to check out the help file that's inside the window (you can see the beginning of it in the screenshots above.)

...That's about it, I think. One more thing, though- I'd like to thank Invertigo for those animation rips from the game ROMs. I couldn't have done it without those.

So in short, take IRC, but make it Phoenix Wright-styled, complete with OBJECTIONs and evidence and music and everything.

GSR

That one guy
Oh, it's worth noting that at the moment it's slightly buggy/laggy, but they plan to fix a lot of things in the next update, as well as add more characters over time.

Zelsius

<b>Egosexual</b>
Thanks for that link, johnxfire. I'm very amused.
And I happen to be playing that case right now, so perfect fit.