Help me with my internet/router problem?

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
Help me with my internet/router problem?

Ok so recently my internet has been incredibly fucking slow. ALL of the computers' internets at my house have been slow. Except for when we plug in my dad's computer directly to the modem. It's on the router too but it's close that we can plug it directly into the modem and it'll go fast. So we know the problem isn't internet.

My brother had also called and they said it was the router. We're kinda at a loss as to what to do and how to fix it. Any help?

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
Just a few thoughts...

1) Too many things are going through the router. So many that it's making everything slow, just so it can get the internet to all of them. If you have alot, try disconnecting them and see if that helps.

2) The modem might just be dieing o_o It might be time to get a new one...

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Or one of the computers on the router is being used to transmit data without your knowing, clogging up your connection.

Kage

THE all-high-and-mighty
O.O This problem only started this week so I doubt it's finally starting to think that 3 comps is bad. We've been on this for about 2 months now.

;-; That sounds baaaad Greg ;-;

G4bumon

<b>Timer</b>
Well, I got a few things you can do.

1. With all the comps on, check and see is all the computers can get some decent speed. (Make sure none are dl/ul). Then if still slow then it rules out the bandwidth is too little.

2. Unplug the lan cable form the router. Reset the modem (Hard not soft). Then once connected to the ISP. Then reset the router (Again hard not soft). Then plug in the lan cable from modem to router. Then after all connected, then setup the router the way you like passwords, mac filtering, firewalls, etc. Then do step 1 to see if there is a difference.

3. If the comps that are wireless are the ones that are slow, try to add power to the signal (Very little router/modems will let you do this), also try a different frequency (usually the highest and lowest). One more thing is try to keep large magnet and other object the create a magnetic field away from the router, this way there is little chance for package corruption.

I hope these things work.

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Unplug each computer one by one and see how it affects speed on the others. If one creates the problem, then you know where to focus your efforts :)