Earthquake in Illinois

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
Earthquake in Illinois

5.2 magnitude with the epicenter near West Salem, Illinois near the border with Indiana. It occured at appox. 4:30AM CDT. There was then an after shock around 10:15AM CDT with the magnitude of 4 point something.

Yes, not that big of a earthquake, but in the midwest region, it is the second biggest earthquake recorded, the first is an 5.4 earthquake occuring on November 9, 1968.

I live around 100 miles away from the epicenter. The first time I experienced an earthquake. I heard it was felt in Florida, like I'll believe that. But it was felt in Tennessee and Wisconsin. Those states sound more probable that Florida. But it depends on how many people reported that they felt it in Florida.

Just one question, would a earthquake of that magnitude (and that distance away from the epicenter) affect or break a spinning harddrive? My hard drives work, but just still asking.

2chaotic

Future bestselling author
I don't know about the HD but it's possible.

I live in western central indiana so i felt the aftershocks (I slept through the first...darned sleep.) Most of my friends felt the first and were awoken by it. I felt an aftershock at 11:14 during school.

That 5.4 quake is not the biggest in teh midwest. New Madrid Quake of 1812 This quake rang bells in BOSTON. scroll up on that page to see the famous New Madrid fault line; the only fault line in the world located WITHIN a continental plate.

megumi

SPAM BOT
Staff member
WARNING WARNING
2chaotic;44490 said:
I don't know about the HD but it's possible.

I live in western central indiana so i felt the aftershocks (I slept through the first...darned sleep.) Most of my friends felt the first and were awoken by it. I felt an aftershock at 11:14 during school.

That 5.4 quake is not the biggest in teh midwest. New Madrid Quake of 1812 This quake rang bells in BOSTON. scroll up on that page to see the famous New Madrid fault line; the only fault line in the world located WITHIN a continental plate.

I didn't feel the aftershock, though I know people who did, because I was in lunch at school. And that particular lunch is probably more hectic than any earthquake.

well, about the New Madrid Quake of 1812. Maybe midwest was too vast of an area. I kinda meant around Illinois and Indiana. Because the earthquake from 1968 was also in southern Illinois. Sorry about that.

The earthquake today was from the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone, though it is a possible northern extension of the Madrid Seismic Zone.

This earthquake got its own article on Wikipedia.

Edit: Also, thanks about the harddrive thing. My harddrives most likely didn't sustain damage, at least major damage.

And... The New Madrid Seismic Zone is located south of Illinois according to this map.

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Random fact: The fault line is caused because a LONG time ago, the North American continent tried to split apart, but failed, and so there is a weakening in the center.

Just random.

And I *may* have felt it... was too out of it to really notice anything though. :/

digiboy123

Sub Editor & RAW Scan Provider Purdy Thing
Lots of people in KY felt it. But I was too busy watching TV to notice any shaking. :eek:

Rein

The Mysterious Stranger
I didn't feel it at all, but a lot of my friends said they either woke up or felt everything shaking. I went to bed right before it happened, though, so I couldn't be bothered to wake up again...

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
Reminds me when we had one not long ago in the UK of a similar size.