Digimon Worldwide dubs

Honza_N

Digimon Worldwide dubs

I found out this website: http://digistarlight.net/?id=main/worldwide where's some information about worldwide Digimon dubs. But there's only few info about few dubs. So I'd like to know more info. To be honest, that webpage were not the only thing that inspires me for this thread. It was also the fact that Digimon Tamers start in Saturday in Czech for the first time.

Digimon Adventure were dubbed from US dub, but not straight, since TV Nova, who both dubbed and aired it, most likely have problem to get US version and instead dubbed Dutch dub of US version. This dub actually weren't bad if you can stand US censorship, music and dialogue changes, added jokes and all.
Names are all kept from US version, some other indicia and attacks were translated to Czech language from US terms, Digivolution, for example were translated to "Digizměna" (Digichange in literate back translation), and they uses the word Digizměna without other word for Warp Digivolutions too, so they sounds the same as other Digivolutions. Also, Digital World were translated as “Digisvět” (Digiworld), and Digidestined as “Digivyvolení” (Digichosen).
Opening song were resinged to Czech (someone upload it to Youtube, so you can judge by yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yBGtHDOgc ), but only as opening. Whenever it sounds in series itself, it is kept in English. Other songs, though, were resinged from US songs, with exception for Mimi's song which were strangely resinged Czech version of I Wish instead of US Mimi's song.
Zero Two: Since TV Nova gets many complaints about Digimon Adventure being dubbed from censored US version, they decides to dub Zero Two straight from Japanese version. The only thing that was cut out was Eyecatches. They even kept next episode preview after ending.
Names for Digimon and main humans were used US (they even used Scubamon instead of Divermon in episode 13), but most side characters were their Japanese names kept. They also changed surname for Tai and Kari from Kamiya (which they use in Adventure and movie) to Yagami.
All voices for main characters were kept with exception for T.K. who gets older voice. It is interesting though, that T.K.'s Adventure voice actor now voices Cody. There were though, some strange voicing. Narrator now is the same voice actor, Pavel Soukup, who voiced both Devimon and Myotismon in Adventure, and in Zero Two he also voices Azulongmon and Oikawa, but not MaloMyotismon, who have different voice actor. Also Wizardmon have changed voice, even though his voice actor, Bohdan Tůma (who also voices Etemon in Adventure and together with Zbyšek Pantůček (Agumon in both series) singed opening) now voices Veemon and all his evolutions. They also screwed the fact narrator is T.K., since T.K. at the end have kept his voice actor who just uses older voice on him. The way dub was presented, it even seemed like Oikawa were the narrator, which of course is nonsense.
They try to be consistent, so most terms and attack names already used in Adventure were kept, but new terms and attack names were mostly translated from Japanese. For example, they translate Digimental to Digivůle instead of using US term DigiEgg (which IMO is the most stupid term I ever heard in Digimon dub). They once again screwed Armor Digivolve, since they uses (equivalently in Czech of course) "XXX Digivolve to Armor YYY", nothing else. DNA Digivolutions were translated as "Synchronizovaná Digizměna" (Synchronized Digivolution) and Mega Digivolution were kept as "Mega Digizměna".
All songs, this time, were kept in Japanese.
Unfortunately, when Zero Two first airs on TV Nova, the ratings were so low, they decide to cancel it after episode 42 and never bother to reruns it. Digimon fans in Czech must wait whole four years until Czech version of cable TV Animax decides to airs the whole series, followed by Tamers and Frontier, both in their Czech premiere.
Tamers As I wrote above, first episode of Tamers only premiers in Saturday, so I only can reviewed first two episodes. But even from it, it seems the dub is slightly different. First thing that strokes my ears, were the fact, they pronounces Digimon different way. In first two series, they pronounce Digimon with hard G, the same way Digimon is pronounced in German dub. But in Tamers dub, they changed pronunciation to the same way as US dub does.
They also changed some terms. Digizměna is kept (even though with changed pronunciation for Digi- part), but they changed names of levels. They also kept untranslated Renamon’s attack Koyousetsu and Goblimon’s (who were changed to Goburimon) as Goburi Strike. They also translate Terriermon’s Moumantai to “promiň” (sorry). Also Calumon’s “Culu, Culu” is not used.
Name for Rika were uses Rika, other kids were not named in first two episodes dub. Also, no Digimon with changed names in US version The only exception were Calumon, but his name were not said until now.
They also seems they can’t decide about Renamon’s gender, because they once called her as male, then as female, then once again as male and once again as female. They obviously changed, though, Calumon to female.
Digimon the Movie were dubbed in different dub studio and by different dub director. The dub director, though, were mentioned Bohdan Tůma. He managed to get all voice actors for Adventure characters and also kept all Adventure terms. But since the dub was done in time when Adventure dub was still in progress, all Zero Two characters were having different voice actors and terms were different then they were in final dub. The most noticeable were Digimontal which were translated straight from Digiegg as Digivejce. Also, all songs were this time kept in English.

Nemomon

<b>Gaming Freak</b><br>Chip Library Evo
ALL HAIL Vande... ;) That link that You copied is our Admin's site... ;).

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
*whistles*
that's some pretty nice additional info there :confused:

yea as Nemo said the site you linked is mine ^^

Mind if i add your info to the site (with credit of course)

Nemomon

<b>Gaming Freak</b><br>Chip Library Evo
I may give You Polish opening to Digimon Adventure from "Weregarurumon's Dinner".. ;).

Honza_N

Nemomon;63173 said:
ALL HAIL Vande... ;) That link that You copied is our Admin's site... ;).
I know that, but since Vande has the link in her sig, I don't mind to wrote it in my post ;)
Vande;63175 said:
*whistles*
that's some pretty nice additional info there :confused:

yea as Nemo said the site you linked is mine ^^

Mind if i add your info to the site (with credit of course)
Not at all. I will reviewed next episodes of Tamers for you, if there will be something important for dub. And Frontier is then scheduled for september, BTW.

Seraphimon-T.K.

<b>Scan Editor</b><br>~Holy Warrior~
I always check the other "Digimon" versions to see if we in Greece did a good job or not...
The actors did a good job for seasons 1-3...Frontier was horrible in greek >_<,but i like the opening song XD (the guy who upload the video used the japanese video >_<,he did the same for the Tamers opening too.i like the tamers opening song too XD)...
Maybe i'll write something about the Digimon greek dub too XD

Honza_N

So, after third episode, I can confirm kids names are US, which most likely is valid for Digimon too. I believe this is licensing issue, because otherwise Animax uses Japanese names, since their policy is to be as close to original as possible. They have proven this in third episode when they kept Sukiyaki (Japanese food). But, for some strange reason, they renamed Jeri into Jen. I can also confirm they kept Japanese attack names without translation, which most likely is another prove for Animax to tries to be as close to original. DigiModify were translated as “Digizměna” in this episode, while no term for it were used in previous episodes. Terriermon’s Moumantai were also kept in this episode, but not all times he uses it. This ufortunately confirms terminology inconsistency, which can be found in some other Animax’ Czech dubs (Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach being the main example). Also, using Digizměna for DigiModify is strange since the same term were, and still is, used for Digivolutions. Interesting thing is, they kept says “Evolution” from original before Digivolution.
Also, I forgot to mention (but I think it can be deduced from what I wrote ;) ), that they dubbed Tamers straight from Japanese. But unlike Zero Two, they not only cut out Eyecatch, but also next episode preview. They also uses textless opening and ending with no credits for dub provided. The only credit is blue screen with "© 2001 TOEI ANIMATION CO.,LTD. All Rights Reserved”. Which is not usual for Animax’ dubs. They usually uses openings and endings with original Japanese credits and dub credits are provided as subtitles during ending. In Zero Two, BTW, both Animax and Nova uses opening and ending with original Japanese credits and dub credits were provided spoken during ending as is common practice in most Czech dubs.
Also, important is, that the name of the series, according to Animax website and program guides, is Digimontrenéři. This can imply thought that word “trenéři” (trainers) will be used for Tamers, but they only uses “trenéři” once in the dub and all other times Tamers were literately translated as “krotitelé”.

Seraphimon-T.K.;63195 said:
I always check the other "Digimon" versions to see if we in Greece did a good job or not...
That were also my reason to make this thread, so…
Seraphimon-T.K.;63195 said:
Maybe i'll write something about the Digimon greek dub too XD
feel free to do so ;)

Edit: Fourth episode have once again new term for DigiModify, this time it were translated as "proveď příkaz" (execute command). Also, Animax fixed ending, so dub credits are provided as subtitles as is in other Animax' Czech dubs. The ending (and opening too), thogh, still are textless.

PositronCannon

Guess I'll add Spanish version then. ;) Spanish from Spain, not Mexican or anything like that. :p

For all series, original music is kept, except openings and endings (translated/adapted to Spanish)

Digimon Adventure
The dialogue in episodes 1 and 2 is translated from the English dub, but for whatever reason those are the only ones like that (THANKFULLY!). Everything after that, including 02, Tamers and Frontier is translated from Japanese. English names are used for both Chosen and Digimon (secondary characters, like the Chosen's parents, Jou's brother, etc. keep their original names) and the word "Digivolution" is taken from the English dub as well. "Yagami" is still "Yagami" though, not "Kamiya". What's really weird is that Japanese names are used in 2 instances in the first 2 episodes, Sora saying "Taichi" instead of "Tai" and Yamato saying "Takeru" instead of "T.K.". Who knows.

Voices are quite similar to the Japanese ones, and overall it's my favorite dub out of all Digimon series.

Also, the 2nd ending never reached here, so the first one is used for all 54 episodes.

Digimon Adventure Zero-Two
Pretty much the same as Adventure. Iori is a girl here (:confused:) but it doesn't matter for the plot so meh, though it's kinda weird when you get to the ending and you see that's obviously NOT a girl... anyway...

The Chosen's names are again English, Evolution is Digivolution, Digimental is Digi-Egg, and Jogress Evolution is DNA Digivolution. Other than that, everything's translated from Japanese.

Voices are alright, but not as fitting as in Adventure. Especially Miyako got a serious-sounding voice that doesn't fit her at all, unlike her hyper-active Japanese one. Iori has a weird voice for obvious reasons, though for some reason it seems to fit to some extent... XD
Also, in the Japanese version, Takeru turns out to be the narrator from the beginning, but this was ignored in the dub, which is understandable since there's no way the dubbers would know about it back in Adventure.

Something interesting is that the 2nd ending is there, but only the images, since the first ending song is used.

Digimon Tamers
My favorite Digimon series by far, which ironically has, IMO, the worst Spanish dub of them all. Names are same old story; all the Tamers' names are taken from English (this time including surnames, like Matsuda becoming Matsuki for some reason that goes beyond my comprehension), except for Juri who becomes Jen (I think I read the same thing about some other dub up there in this thread, that's interesting). Tamers' families' members, Hypnos personnel, etc. keep their names. Also, I think Culumon didn't say "calu calu" in English, he does here.

The voices is what makes this my least favorite dub, most are just... exaggerated. Takato sounds like he's crying all the time, Ruki's voice is too low, even though it kinda fits her "tough" nature, it doesn't sound right (her dubber usually voices guys, like Taichi in Adventure, and she does a better job at that), and Juri's is a complete opposite, being too high-pitched. When she screams, you'll scream as well and turn the volume down. :p Yamaki sounds like he's got something stuck in his throat, Guilmon is voiced by an old man (funny but Japanese FTW), Renamon sounds like a female version of Yamaki and Culumon doesn't really sound too cute anymore, though still better than the previously mentioned characters (he's voiced by Ruki's dubber, this one's high pitched though).

The dialogue itself is fine, same old Digivolution is still used, same goes for D-Arc becoming D-Power. "Card Slash" is translated as "Card Read" because there's no fitting word for "Slash" in Spanish, stuff like Hypnos, the Wild Bunch and Hypnos' programs keep their original names, as well as Matrix Evolution (surprisingly, not Digivolution).

This time, we finally got both endings, video and audio included. Can't say I like the Spanish versions but whatever, better than nothing. First time next episode previews are included as well.

Digimon: The Movie
As you can guess by the name, this is a translation of the infamous American-made mix of the first 3 movies. As such, everything is English dub here, though I think they tried to tone down the stupid jokes so it would be more like the Japanese-based series, but it could be due to lip-syncing adaptation, I don't know. Anyway, "original" sucked, dub sucks, though at least the Spanish voices are much more enjoyable than the English ones, IMO.

Well, that's all. I can't say much about Frontier and Savers, since I've barely watched anything of Frontier and Savers isn't here (yet?), and I'm not interested in any case. As for the movies, none of them were dubbed here.

Honza_N

So, after some time, some of my reviews for Czech dub of Tamers. 12 episodes airs until today. The inconsistency comes out of limits. Until episode 8 I think they can be consistent in at least term for Wild One, which were translated as "Nekontrolovatelný" (Uncontrolled), but in episode 8 they kept Wild One untranslated. On the other hand, in the same episode they start to translate attacks to Czech. They also translate previously untranslated Guilmon's and Terriermon's attacks, but Renamon's and Kyubimon's attacks are, strangely consistently :D , kept in Japanese without translation. Also, Hypno fortunately is kept untranslated as is their deleting program Yugoth.
Also, there are some strange translations. The strangest of them is titlle for episode 11, "Bond v krizi" (Bond in a crisis, you should, though, know that the only meaning word Bond have in Czech is the name for Ian Flamming's 007 agent, so the title actually souds like new title for James Bond movie, strange). Also, since episode 5 Calumon's "Culu, culu" is translated as "Kudu, kudu", which I don't think have any meaning in Czech, but maybe dubbers knows something I don't :rolleyes: That leads me to question what they actually translate, since I don't think they can come with such title if they translate from Japanese. Maybe they translate some English script TOEI provides them, who knows...
Also, the inconsistency about Renamon's gender continous. They seem to have difficulties to decides what gender Renamon is. On the other hand, since episode 5, they kept Calumon consistently as male, which is good thing.
Well, since we already are in episode 12, I will comment some voices. Takato is dubbed by Radek Škvor, who, AFAIK, is 18 years old. You can imagine how unfit this voice actually is. His voice were OK back when he voices Izzy in Adventure and Zero Two, when he was 11 and 13 respectively, but now, his voice goes through cracking. Henry is also strange for me. Not that his voice don't fit him, but his voice actor, Jan Maxián, not only is one of most overused Czech voice actors, but he also voices Ken in Zero two and his portraying of Henry is dangerously close to his portraying of Ken. Rika too don't get really fitting voice, but at least her voice actress gets her emotions good. The same I can apply to Terriermon. Guilmon originally gets unfit voice too, but since episode 11, they changed his voice so now it's very close to original. Yamaki's voice is OK too, even though some people thinks je should have more gruffy voice, I think such voice ruined his character. Ranamon and Calumon gets good and fitting voices too. Impmon, even though he lost his bleat sound and his voice is slightly too high pitched, the evil is still present in his voice. The strange think about Impmon is, that the dub script gives him way too much dirty words I doubt he have in original, since I know Japanese don't use many dirty words in even more matured animes than Digimon.

LectorVoraz

i'll add the mexican version, IMO the best dubs yet (maybe except Frontier)

Digimon Adventure

well, it was all translated from japanese, no censorship at all, though some names were taken from US, but no bad jokes or script changes. original music was all kept from the original, and we got a dubbed opening and first ending. there was never a second ending.
BTW (and this is purely informative, no attempt to start a war) the mexican dub translated the jap openings while spain'sdub made up something explaining the season for the opening songs. this happened in the first 3 seasons

Digimon Adventure 02

again mostly translated from japanese, xept some names, no censorship whatsoever, original music kept throughout the series, opening and first ending translated.

Tamers

once more, all was taken from the jap, this time no names were changed, as far as i know. still only 1 ending.

Frontier

same as above, though it kinda felt different, like lacking something...

i never saw the movie so i am not commenting on it.

Honza_N

So, once again some news about Czech Tamers dub. Yesterday, episode 32 airs, and I am getting lost in the dub now. Not only there’s continuing translation inconsistency, but we now have big recast controversy. In episode 22 they changed voices for Renamon and once again for Guilmon. I don't really care for Renamon, since her voice is still close to original, but Guilmon... well, if it is not enough that main Digimon gets already third voice (and we still are only in the half of the series), but they give him annoingly high pitched voice that sounds almost like woman (which, if I thinking about it, is pretty much possible that he were voiced by woman). But in episode 31 they recast almost half of the cast including Guilmon and Renamon. While Renamon and Guilmon get back their first voices, Tajato, Henry, Kenta, Leomon, Miyaki and Henry’s father, who all have only one VAs until now. It is interesting, that Takato, who were originally voiced by Radek Škvor, who voices Izzy in Adventure and Zero Two, is now voiced by Vojtěch Kotek, who voiced Tai in Adventure ad Zero Two. Also, Martin Sobotka, who voices Miyaki, now voices Guilmon (which he voiced until episode 10), but strangely is unacceptable for Miyaki anymore.
In episode 31, they strangely cut off final scene were Takato, Henry and Terriermon fall into the water. I personally take this as some sort of mistake, since they also uses first ending in that episode. They also switch to first version in episodes 31 and 32, but in episode 32 second ending is used correctly.
I must admit that now I think the only good thing about Czech Tamers dub is, that they dub uncut version.