(Digimon) Prelude to Doubt

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
(Digimon) Prelude to Doubt

((Note from writer - This is a one shot Fic that takes place from Minervamon's point of view for a larger fanfic that I plan on writing. It takes place immediately after the prelude that will be written, seven years before the fanfic begins. And yes, it's supposed to be short.))

Something wasn't right about that mission.

It appears that Dianamon's plan truly was flawless this time. My mission was completed smoothly and flawlessly, with no casualties or injuries. For that matter, there was barely a fight. It was surprising, being as the mission was to reformat the hero of darkness that had risen up from Circuit Village. Time and time again he had stopped our advancements to slay the vile darkness, and yet... how could he be so easy to defeat? I find it odd. Rather than having his data disperse when I struck him, instead, my blade was stained with a strange red fluid I haven't seen before. And for that matter... Everything about this mission, and how it turned out was... very odd. As according to the plan, Mercurimon, Marsmon, and myself were sent, rather than someone below us. Mercurimon succeeded in capturing his young companion, which indeed lured him out. However, rather than fight, he simply asked that she be let go when we dealt with him. He even told Beelzebumon to stand down, and not fight, despite Beelebumon's protest.

I don't understand. Why would a 'Vile Hero of Darkness' just allow himself to be reformatted just so that a young comrade would be let go? Why would he stand there and take my blade? But... perhaps what I don't understand the most... Why did his data not disperse, but rather, he become limp instead? As though it were just a lifeless shell?

Mercurimon spoke.

"Minervamon, is something wrong? Ever since we carried out our mission, you've had a strange look on your face."

"No, no... It's nothing... I'm fine, don't worry about me," I replied.

"Just remember, if you need to talk, I'm here."

"I said I'm fine, don't worry about it. I guess I'm just tired is all."

"Well get some rest. Don't push yourself too hard, either."

I nodded and walked off. However... I wasn't fine at all. This just... it wasn't right. Everything about this was strange... For that matter... Even that digimon. I'd never seen one like those two before. They had appeared last year, in fact evidence said they they'd been here for a while before that as well, and had turned what was supposed to be a minor operation of eliminating a town dedicated to darkness into nearly a full scale war. They were built similar to some, but... well, they were very different than most. The older one, the one whom would eventually be called the 'Hero of Darkness', called himself Yuujin... I've never heard a name like that. He also referred to his companion as his 'little sister Shinju'... And then, as we carried out his execution... As I carried it out... That companion... Shinju...

Her screams seemed to cut through me, just as my blade through the Vile Hero... Why is it that it haunts me like this? Why, when I looked back and saw her in tears over that shell of a body, does that image burn into my mind? Something about this wasn't right... It wasn't right at all... I looked back at my blade. The stain from the red liquid was still on there.

I can't help but shake the feeling that I've done something horribly wrong...