Confessions

gerjomarty

<b>Quality Check</b><br>Resident Gatomon Fanboy
Confessions

I have a confession. I'm getting really excited about the Pokémon anime for the first time in years. It's like I'm betraying Digimon, too.

I stopped watching soon after I found Digimon because I really started to notice the repetitive stories, Team Rocket every single episode, grating characters, etc.

I've been dipping in and out to broadly follow the storyline, but now it's the summer, I find myself engrossed with Pokémon: Battle Frontier. While I didn't like them at first, the new voices sound much better. For one thing, Ash actually sounds more like his age now. The plot is a lot better than I remember. The animation isn't half bad either. And now I'm getting really excited because the Manaphy movie is on the TV on Saturday morning. :eek:

It still has it's numerous problems and they still outweigh the positives, but I think it's got a little better. Thoughts?

Skr

Ishvalastrator
Staff member
-coughsDATSmightbedoingbattlefrontier-

Eh... being a full fledge fan of the original dub, it's hard for me to watch the new one =\ I grew up watching that, and it's just really weird seeing the people have different voices after I've heard the same ones for so long =\

Elecmon

I watched every episode of the original series all the way into the thrird generation the I stopped watching. When I heard they changed the voices I started watching again and I was pissed.

What funny is they never say how old Ash is. He has never had a birthday.

wyyc

Ash never changes clothes for months too. ;)

What was it about Battle Frontier that hooked you though? I gave up on Pokemon after finding Digimon. I was about 8, and I was bored by the same episode structure after 50 episodes. I think I stopped at the episode where Mewtwo made a cameo blasting out of the Viridian Gym.

Lionessmon

I hate the new voices Ash's is really annoying. I also went off the Pokemon anime when Digimon came out but Pokemon Chronicles had me hooked, I love it all the eps. with Cutch and Cassidy being givin the heave ho instead of Jesse and James. Thyplosion, baby Bulbasaur, Totodile and of course Muk.

celestial_sacred

gerjomarty;2965 said:
I have a confession. I'm getting really excited about the Pokémon anime for the first time in years. It's like I'm betraying Digimon, too.

Oh yes. You're betraying Digimon! :-p Just kiddin'. There's nothing wrong actually. It just depends on your own likings. There's a very very thin chance that you will stick to something forever. :]

gerjomarty;2965 said:
I stopped watching soon after I found Digimon because I really started to notice the repetitive stories, Team Rocket every single episode, grating characters, etc.

That was what happened to me. Wait. And it's still happening to me. I dislike the series.

gerjomarty;2965 said:
I've been dipping in and out to broadly follow the storyline, but now it's the summer, I find myself engrossed with Pokémon: Battle Frontier. And now I'm getting really excited because the Manaphy movie is on the TV on Saturday morning. :eek:

Battle Frontier...? Sounds like Digimon Frontier to me.. >_> I had always liked Pokemon movies, sorta, starting from the 3rd one I think. They have good animation quality and the colours are beautiful. =3 Very attractive. The stories are also quite nice, although there's still the annoying Team Rocket..! But I didn't like the fact that certain "special" Pokemon (Lugia, Mewtwo, etc) can speak human. Weird.

Yuki2

Hearts Beywiki
Elecmon;2997 said:
What funny is they never say how old Ash is. He has never had a birthday.

Yeah he has. Episode 1. And even if it wasn't his 10th birthday on that day, they say he's 10 (old enough to have a pokemon).

I figured he's probably around 12 by now. If he went to 5 regions in one year, I'd be amazed.

gerjomarty

<b>Quality Check</b><br>Resident Gatomon Fanboy
wyyc;3031 said:
What was it about Battle Frontier that hooked you though?

I'm still pretty bored with it overall, but I think what got me hooked is that they're finally focusing on Ash maturing and stuff, and not totally basing the whole show on comic relief like how I remembered it. Believe me, it's still there, just not in as huge a quantity as before. Animation quality also has a lot to do with it.

But most of all, I just want to see where the story goes. I've been watching Ash's journey for around 7 or 8 years, so I'm mostly interested in how the story progresses and how they'll wrap it up (if ever), what's going to happen, what he'll do and if he ever finally wins a decent Pokémon League competition and ultimately becomes a "Pokémon Master."

Lionessmon said:
I hate the new voices Ash's is really annoying. I also went off the Pokemon anime when Digimon came out but Pokemon Chronicles had me hooked, I love it all the eps. with Cutch and Cassidy being givin the heave ho instead of Jesse and James. Thyplosion, baby Bulbasaur, Totodile and of course Muk.

I really hated the voices at the beginning, they were very strange and completely uncalled for. But now that we're stuck with them and getting used to them, I think it's a good idea that Ash's and Brock's voices are slightly lower as they get older for example. I was watching the Pokémon Ranger movie this morning and I was shocked that I had to check Wikipedia to see if it had the new voices or the old ones - I couldn't tell the difference. As the voice actors get into the characters more, they'll only get better.

I agree about Pokémon Chronicles. It was great to have a break from the norm of arriving at a new town over a hill, doing something, meeting someone then waving goodbye at the end and never seeing them again. Seeing Misty and Brock out on their own was also interesting to see, because the dynamic of the main Pokémon series so far has completely relied on Ash. The results are interesting when he's taken away.

Yuki2 said:
I figured he's probably around 12 by now. If he went to 5 regions in one year, I'd be amazed.

I was actually thinking more around 14/15. I'm sure there are more lengthy in-world time gaps between episodes and series than we're seeing.

Elecmon

Yuki2;3283 said:
Yeah he has. Episode 1. And even if it wasn't his 10th birthday on that day, they say he's 10 (old enough to have a pokemon).

I remember in one of the movies, during the Pikachu mini-movie Ash says that that day is the aniversery(sp?) of him and Pikachu becoming friends, so he is at least 11. I read a website that said more than likely he was around 15.

KazDoorknob

I'd say, he's about 20, because it's been over 10 years since Pokemon has been out, am I correct? Maybe the Pokemon world is in Earth time. :D

Johnzaloog

DATS Yu-Gi-Oh! Official
Yuki2;3283 said:

There were things like that in digimon where a large ammount of time goes in 1 episode but they don't age. In Tamers in the last few eps they go 2 weeks (I think) without much development (and Jeri didn't die, wierd) and in Savers episode with that guy (Neo I think), The rock star that Yoshino loved and had a Keramon, they waited for over a month.

My confession is that I too like pokémon.

Arkyoptrix

I like the Pokémon episodes, but only the Indigo Leauge and Johto League ones (Indigo League in particular). I think that's because I can have a hard time accepting new things, like the Ruby/Sapphire games, or other seasons in telly shows. I think that's mainly because I think I have to catch up from the past, like stuff I was too young to watch/do or things that were made before I was born, like video games. (Sorry for rambling - I do that a lot)

And Chronicles is fantastic - it's about time we had some episodes without Ash! (I have a tendancy to hate the main character in stories for some bizzare reason 0_o)

Chimera

The other burnt meat!
I must confess that I like Pokemon but not the series. I like Pokemon for the games not anime. I use to like it but, I got tired of the repetitive plot line. -_- But, the games own.

miforever

Rokkuman-sama~ ^^;;
I've heard Ash's new voice recently and was horrified! It's terrible, but I suppose I'll have to learn to adapt...

I grew up on Pokemon, but yes, it was the anime I liked and not so much the games. The constant repitition used to bug me, but now I just find it amusingly childish. Then again, we need a bit of comic releif every now and again! ^_^

I currently own Seasons 1-3 on DVD (Into the start of the Johto League) and a couple of volumes of Pokemon Chronicles that came with the sets. I've also seen the movies up to Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

I haven't really seen too many episodes of Pokemon Advanced onwards, and what I have seen, I don't remember too well. I'd really like to see it again! I wouldn't mind seeing it in Japanese either... ^_^

Oh and if I remember correctly, at the begining of Advanced, Ash is 14, Misty, (who's 2 years older) would be 16, and Brock, (who's 4 years older) would be 18... O_O;;

Poor Brock... no wonder he tries so hard to be a Ladies Man! ^^;