Book: Lord of the Flies *spoilers?*

faqcorner

Book: Lord of the Flies *spoilers?*

Just had to read it in school this year (just finished, just a stupid chart to fill out + essay + stupid talk show thing I have to prepare for ><)

well

If you DONT know what it is, just go look at wikipedia, I don't wanna talk about it much

oh and SPOILERS WARNING btw...

well have anyone else read it?

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
This is by far one of my favorite books. It's been ages since I read it over (last summer) but it still pwns.

Piggy is annoying though. >_>

*still thinks there should be a 13th chapter*

faqcorner

Scipio;11887 said:
This is by far one of my favorite books. It's been ages since I read it over (last summer) but it still pwns.

Piggy is annoying though. >_>

*still thinks there should be a 13th chapter*
I finished the frickin book with the school (well I finished before then, but yea...)...like 2 days ago...

there was a discussion thing for participation...

"How would the situation in Golding's Lord of the Flies be different if the characters were all girls?"

what do you guys think about this >_>

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
They'd die because of a lack of a mall?[/shot]

I'm not quite sure how that'd work out. I'm thinking that it would have taken longer for the Jack-character to go nutso, but in the end it would have worked out about the same.

faqcorner

apparently the people in my class, most of them keep on saying like Girls would be more mature, and the level of testosterone (...), etc.

which I'm just saying, because we don't know what neighborhoods and other factors, I can't exactly know....but in a different way of course....

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
Yeah, I see where they're coming from, though I think it'd still end up the same way. There isn't that much of a difference between males and females at the primal level.

Girls tend to be more emotional though, so it could work the opposite way, where they'd be getting at each other's throats a lot quicker. They may not be out killing pigs right away, but they'd be far more likly to be fighting for the dominant role a lot quicker than Jack and Ralph did.

Ergh, you're making me want to go read the book. >_>

I originally had to read it for my 8th grade English class, and then we spent 1/4 of the year analyzing it. I hated it then, but after a few year break and a reread, I love it.

Have you seen the first movie they did on it? It's entirely creepy, and it left my mom unable to sleep.

faqcorner

Scipio;11905 said:
Yeah, I see where they're coming from, though I think it'd still end up the same way. There isn't that much of a difference between males and females at the primal level.

Girls tend to be more emotional though, so it could work the opposite way, where they'd be getting at each other's throats a lot quicker. They may not be out killing pigs right away, but they'd be far more likly to be fighting for the dominant role a lot quicker than Jack and Ralph did.

Ergh, you're making me want to go read the book. >_>

I originally had to read it for my 8th grade English class, and then we spent 1/4 of the year analyzing it. I hated it then, but after a few year break and a reread, I love it.

Have you seen the first movie they did on it? It's entirely creepy, and it left my mom unable to sleep.
I'm in 10th grade english year...

um...

I haven't seen the movies yet...

oh and what other ppl said is that the girls would tend to maybe go into seperate groups maybe or instead of physical attacks,they would attack on the mental side (AKA: insults?), but someone else Ithink discounted that last one because if the OLDEST were lke 9-11 ages like in LOF, then they might not know that the mental part might hurt more or something like that....

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
At least where I come from, it's the girls that physically assault each other, and the guys just tend to say "Fuck you" and leave. 90% of the fights at my old high school were girls that were clawing and screeching at each other for whatever reason. But I can totally see a stranded group of girls grouping off into little cliques. It'd make sense.

faqcorner

Scipio;11911 said:
At least where I come from, it's the girls that physically assault each other, and the guys just tend to say "Fuck you" and leave. 90% of the fights at my old high school were girls that were clawing and screeching at each other for whatever reason. But I can totally see a stranded group of girls grouping off into little cliques. It'd make sense.

no that'll be interesting to put in one of my comments for that...

wait what country were you in?

cause if it is/was Great Britain, then that comment would be pretty powerful 0.0

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
I'm in the US.

But when I think about it, the book was set around WWII. The girls back then were conditioned to be a bit more... mellow. I'm not sure how much that would have played into a girl version of the book, since the book is primarily an insight into the human character when left unchecked.

faqcorner

Scipio;11915 said:
I'm in the US.

But when I think about it, the book was set around WWII. The girls back then were conditioned to be a bit more... mellow. I'm not sure how much that would have played into a girl version of the book, since the book is primarily an insight into the human character when left unchecked.

LOF was based somtime around the WWII timeline near britain, and the boys were FROM britain...

I guess since of influences from US to Britain, they might/might not be mellow/hyper/whatever... or something, I just like responded hella lot just so I get a lot of participation points >_> XD...

Rein

The Mysterious Stranger
I hated that book. >_>;

The only good part is when that kid splattered everywhere.

Nemomon

<b>Gaming Freak</b><br>Chip Library Evo
I watching inly the movie. For me that version from 1963 was better than next one (from something like 1990). Old version was only for action. There was very small dialogues. Anyway, still very good thing for wathing / reading.

faqcorner

I'm currently making an essay on it for school...

umm which quote should I use as a hook for attention?

"In nature a repulsive caterpillar turns into a lovely butterfly. But with human beings it is the other way round: a lovely butterfly turns into a repulsive caterpillar." (Anton Chekhov)

or

“It is silly to go on pretending that under the skin we are brothers. The truth is more likely that under the skin we are all cannibals, assassins, traitors, liars and hypocrites.” ( Henry Miller)

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
“It is silly to go on pretending that under the skin we are brothers. The truth is more likely that under the skin we are all cannibals, assassins, traitors, liars and hypocrites.” ( Henry Miller)

that one has more zing

faqcorner

Vande;12890 said:

that one has more zing
k thanks ^_^'

finished the book (...that's why writing an essay about it for school...)

I give it...well a 7.5/10 or 8/10....

eh -_-'

Magna

I'm reading it this year for school (grade 8). We don't need it until a while and I'm not gonna start reading it before I finish the three/four other books I'm still reading at the moment.
It would still be nice if people put spoilers under spoiler tags(if you want though, not forcing you to) ^^;