Already Disappointed over Suikoden DS game...

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Already Disappointed over Suikoden DS game...

Okay, those of you that know me know I'm a big fan of BOTH GSes: Both Golden Sun, and the other, lesser known GS, Gensou Suikoden.

Well, there's a new Suikoden game coming out for DS... Which I have been eagerly looking forward to.

But then I found out you have a 4-member party, like in 4, which sucked (suikoden usually has 6-member parties).

Then I found out that the basis of story is kinda... meh...

Now? Now? ...It has been given a STANDARD RPG MP SYSTEM. What's more, they removed Duels and War Battles.

IT'S NOT SUIKODEN! IT'S A LIE! A FILTHY LIE!

What's next? The ability to use 3 True Runes at once? The changing of the element system to a standard element system? The ability to EQUIP NEW WEAPONS as opposed to having one weapon you always improve?

No! Nooo! One of the GREATEST things about Suikoden was that it's not your cookie-cutter RPG! 6-member parties (with a formation system in Sukio V), weapons unique to each character that are tempered and improved at a blacksmith, rather than replaced at a shop, the rune system, and how each of the 4 spell levels has its own MP, the rejoining of the 108 stars of Destiny (and as a result, HUGE playble cast), the duels, the war battles...

What is this? This... this... UN-SUIKODEN?

If you'll exuse me... I'm going to go cry myself to sleep in that corner over there... T-T

Splash

<b>Super Moderator</b><br>♥ TOMATO ♥
I'm reading a lot of complaints about it over at the gamefaqs board too... XD; I haven't played any of the other Suikoden games either. Which one would you say is your favorite and most recommended?

But you never really know how the game experience will be until it's actually out and you've personally played it~ Although, just for the record, there ARE a lot of crappy RPGs for the DS... We'll see how it goes XD

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
1 and 2, if you can find them, and afford them, I'd say definitely get. They're classics, after all.

3 and 5 are my favorites, though.

Not many people like 4 as much (think of it as the Rockman.EXE 4 of suikoden), and I've not played Rhapsody/Tactics yet, so I cannot give you an honest opinion on it.

I also happen to be a fan of the suikoden series and I'm also a little bit disppointed with the new suikoden game.

I didn't mind if they lowered the graphics because afterall, it's a ds game but the thing that I was really hoping for an advancement was the number of party members but instead, they cut it to only 4. I'm still a bit ok with the storyline since I usually get drawn into the story even if I don't like it at the start.

I just hope I'll think better of this game when I'm already playing it.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
I already named the three things that piss me off the most:

Move from Suiko MP system to a Cookie-cutter MP system
Move from 6 member party to 4 member party
ELIMINATION of duels and war battles.

GSR

That one guy
I've no experience with the series except for playing some RPG Maker games with a lot of similar stuff (eg. recruitment system, duels, wars.)

I'm not really that interested.

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
In this one, I'm not surprised. I'll still get it, as I get any DS rpg I can find, but I REFUSE to acknowledge it as a Suikoden game. >:-(

Role

Fanfic Writer & RPer
Returning Member
Well, I still expect it to be somewhat good, or at least decent. But regardless, it's no Suikoden. It's strayed way too far from the basis of Suikoden to be considered a Suikoden game.

Heh, watch. The next thing we find out is that they're gonna pull a traditional XP system. >_>

Splash

<b>Super Moderator</b><br>♥ TOMATO ♥
famitsu gave it a 34, which is pretty darn good, same score as Blazer Drive DS which I've been really addicted to lately, and higher than other big titles that came out around the same time like Phantasy Star Zero and Tales of Hearts. I played like 30 minutes of Suikoden DS so far XDDD I'm sure there's much more to the game to give it that score, but the beginning is very cookie cutter... and I'm in the middle of too many other awesome games to really give it more time right atm.

Zodiac

Gurren Brigade Member
Splash;83109 said:
famitsu gave it a 34, which is pretty darn good.

Out of 40, is it...? If it's as bad as you say, I'd say it should be out of 100.

I don't play RPG's that much (I like thinking up stories for them, but that's about all) so I'm not available for comment.