A quick overview, as I don't have much time

Dash

I Ireland
Staff member
Supreme Dictator
A quick overview, as I don't have much time

I got this first one on May 17
Dear Greg, At this time we are proud to announce to our existing VPS customers that we have just brought online 4 brand new servers at our SoftLayer datacenter facility in Dallas, TX. Many of you are already familiar with this location as your current VPS server resides at this facility.
These new servers are the top of the line models and feature Dual-Quad Core Intel 5345's (thats 8-processors) with 16 GB of memory and the best feature yet... a monster RAID SAS-SCSI 15,000 RPM drive array that is hands down the fastest I/O system in the industry. What does this mean to you? Well, generally speaking all of ZONE.NET's machine feature powerful processors and large amounts of memory; thats why you experience the performance results that you've come to expect from us. However, with SAS-SCSI technology, our disk speeds in the servers system have just increased exponentially and they can process alot more in less time (we currently utilize SATA RAID based disk arrays in our servers). This fact coupled with our strict no overselling policy equals the fastest, most reliable VPS hosting experience ever offered in the industry.
These new servers were reserved only for our new upcoming promotion and site relaunch featuring new VPS and VPScluster products. However, since you are an existing ZONE.NET VPS customer, we are giving you the chance to upgrade to the latest in technology before we start provisioning new customers on these servers. We have also made arrangements with our datacenter so we now have the ability to migrate your existing IP addresses on whatever VPS server you are on to your new SAS-SCSI-based VPS within the same facility. All of your data, sites, etc will maintain intact as migrations from one node to another are painless with Virtuozzo.
Ofcourse, if you would rather stay on your current physical node configuration, that is perfectly fine as well. These new servers are meant to compliment our existing infrastructure, not to replace any servers. This offer is completely optional and if you would like to participate please just send us an email and we can work out the details with you on a case by case basis.
Once again, thank you for being a ZONE.NET customer and we hope this offer can be redeemed by you, our valued customer as a token of our appreciation for your loyalty. We strive to stay on the cutting edge of technology, and with your support we will be #1 in the hosting industry in regards to Virtual Servers and VPScluster solutions!
Regards,
Sales, ZONE.NET
I would like to make it known right now that I didn't ask to be moved to these servers, and I don't think Chris has been on enough to have requested a move.

Then, May 22nd (after we had already been down for a number of days due to our own memory problems) I got this e-mail:
Dear Greg,
Our internal monitoring systems has detected an error in the RAID array on one of our new SAS-SCSI phsyical nodes that your VPS resides on.
In order to provide the highest quality of service, we are investigating this issue now and will have an update shortly.
It is highly advisable that you _MAKE SURE_ you have all recent backups available and ready at your disposal, in case of any issues that may arise. Make sure you keep the backups local on your PC, and do not store them on the VPS.
We will be performing maintenace on the SAS-SCSI server that the error was detected on, but we will also be taking down all the other new SAS-SCSI servers to make sure it is not a system-wide hardware controller issue to prevent any data loss or corruption.
Our time frame window for resolving this issue is immediate, and you may expereince connectivity issues in the next 6-12 hours. We do apologise for this inconvienence, but it is absolutely neccessary to ensure a stable environment for the future.
Regards,
Support, ZONE.NET
As I read it, we had been moved to the new SAS-SCSI servers, which then had an error on it.

After awhile, I... well, you can read the support ticket I made.
After yesterday's maintenance, my VPS seems to have... fucked up, for lack of better wording.

http://75.126.159.39/

That gives me a... Plesk page. I should have cPanel.

Can someone please fix this? I'm hoping that my site hasn't vanished... really hope so...

Now would be a good time to note that their notice of errors was sent out at about noon. THis, of course, gave me plenty of time to go home and make any needed back-ups. I was at school, and most people would be at work at this time, right?

The response to my ticket:
Greg,

Before we performed the maintenance we sent out a notice informing all customers that it is very important that all data be backed up. When we rebuilt the SAS-SCSI RAID it was required that we re-create all of the VE's. According to our billing records, your VPS is a FC5 with Plesk 100-domain, not cPanel. Please double check this in the http://control.zone.net/ area.

Please provide a recent backup of your site(s) and we will gladly restore all of your data on your VPS immediately. If you have a Plesk backup as was instructed in the email, that would work best but any sort of zip file or tar ball with your content/data will suffice.

On that note, even though we sent out the notice email with a reminder that you should always have your backups, a few of our customers do not have any backups, and it is indeed unfortunate. However, moving forward we will be providing a free 1-5 GB off site lock box service. All you have to do is just tell us which directories on your server you want secured on the off site storage, and we will put it in our automated system.

Regards,

Sean K.
ZONE.NET
Now is a good time to copy over the information from my "My Hosting Packages" page in their control panel.
» Product Details
Registration Date:03/14/2007 Product/Service:Enterprise Domain:ikuto.heartxsteel.net Operating System:Fedora Core Control Panel:cPanel | WHM w/ Fantastico and RVskin Operating System:Fedora Core Control Panel:plesk 100 Domain w/ Power Pack Disk Space:Standard Disk Space | 20 GB Memory:Standard Memory | 256-512 MB Disk Space:Standard Disk Space | 30 GB Memory:Standard Memory | 512-1028 MB IP Addresses:Standard IP Addresses | 3 IPs Port Speed:Standard Port Speed | 2 mbps IP Addresses:Standard IP Addresses | 3 IPs Port Speed:Standard Port Speed | 3 mbps Next Due Date:06/05/2007 First Payment Amount:$39.03 USD Recurring Amount:$70.00 USD Billing Cycle:Monthly Payment Method:Credit Card Status:Active
My old package and my new package were mucked up for some reason that I'll never know.

Yeah, they screwed up big time and gave me Plesk. But that's not any bother now.

----------------

It's a bunch of quotes, but it should give you an idea of what happened. Their hardware blew up, I didn't have any back-ups (as I haven't exactly been around lately to make any and they didn't have any really-easy-to-do-server-wide-back-uping services) and so everything was lost.

I don't quite know if I should blame them or not. Yes, they lost my data. Yes, they put me on a server that I didn't request to be on. But no, it wasn't their fault that the hardware failed on them.

We're now with futurehosting.biz, which has proved to be an excellent service so far. They have a lot more services that I will be taking advantage of - such as a script where it's a couple clicks and I have a server wide back-up downloading and constant server pinging which should help - and also seem pretty dependable, the few days we've been on it.

Really, the guys over at zone.net aren't that bad - they even sent me this follow-up, which I have yet to have time to compose a reply to. (I still haven't cancelled my account over there)
Greg,

I am just following up on this issue. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to assist you in restoring your system. Even though the user is responsible for all data and backups, we do understand the extreme inconvenience this has caused you, and are willing to circumvent the SLA process and will be giving you the next 2 months for free, as well as upgrading your account.

Once again, my deepest apologies and please do let me know if there is anything we can do for you.

Regards,

Sean K.
ZONE.NET

Royal_Knight

Gallantmon
So they moved DATS under w/o permission. And it happened that the place/section of the banks Dats got was defective. If you didn't authorize the move, than it is sort of their fault.

Sorry Greg.

KouseiKibou

We're now with futurehosting.biz, which has proved to be an excellent service so far.

I've been with futurehosting for over a month now, without any real trouble. Although, I've had httpd and proftpd mysteriously die once on seperate occasions, so you may want to watch out for that. But I've ran Web, FTP, and SVN services on my plan without much trouble. So I doubt you'll have any trouble with these people. Certainly not screwed up unauthorized switcharoo crap.

Vande

Evil Incarnate?
I know what i'd have said if my host had moved shit without my permission and it wouldn't have been pretty, but hey we're back

pawitp

Tech Admin
Staff member
Maybe they messed you up with a Plesk user, and the Plesk user asked to moved so they moved your server.